Did any of the greats not start out so great?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMonk, Apr 13, 2012.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That was his way of letting you know. ;-)

2. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I heard that Bill Chase blossomed late (?). Also, for what it's worth, Doc Severinson always talks about all the practice that goes into being great; I suspect, however, in he is 6X's as talented as I am.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    so if you practiced 6X more??? -----

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uh -mmm -- I mean --- uhm, I think you already know ----- you can play ---- and greatness is dependent on what???? audience satisfaction, money, worldwide recognition????? ----- or is greatness determined by you GENRE of music, and if you can be competent, and progressive, and always improving?????????? ---
    --
    uh --- your getting GREAT --- aren't you?????? --- uh --- yeah --- uh, ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO we, and all the others, started out poorly ... in ours and theirs instant beginning viz THE START where it all begins when we first open the case and pick out this "thing" our teacher called a trumpet (or some other musical instrument).

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Most of the "GREAT" ones in any subject have done only that one thing, and know very little about anything else. What I want to know is: Do they truly enjoy whatever they do?

7. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    A well rounded education is very important, but once a person gets a basic education, that the really successful people are not the one's that know a little about a lot, but that the one's that know a lot about very little, in other words, specialization.

Do they truly enjoy whatever they do? Most surely do.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Using my fingers, thumbs and toes I can about tabulate the number of personnel that currently "specialize" in performing on a trumpet/cornet/flugel as their sole source of income, and by this I am removing teachers of trumpet and investment or benefit income. A 4 hour gig on weekends doesn't pay the rent or mortgage. Why then do we do it? My only answer is because we enjoy it (or think we do)! I finally realize that I've spent more money on musical instruments, music and accessories than I've ever earned with an instrument ... but that isn't stopping me ... or my enjoyment.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yes. They all sounded not so great. How else does a beginner ever sound??? Everyone starts from the same place, relatively. Is this a trick question?

Turtle

10. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    I agree with Turtle, beginners.... begin, 10,000 hours later of practice.... pro......, Legend.... if you are lucky, or make a deal with a guy named Fast Eddy from Hoboken.