Did anyone know Conrad Gozzo?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gerv217, Jul 26, 2007.

1. gerv217

gerv217 New Friend

Jul 25, 2007
    My son won the Conrad Gozzo award tonight. We were doing some research on him and thought this site might help.
    Thanks,
    Gerv217

2. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    Hello!
    First of all congratulations to your son! An award associated with this great Trumpet player is quite an honor!:thumbsup: You may find the following link helpful to your inquiry.
    ITG 2003 Del Lyren - Conrad Gonzo
    Peace:cool:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  3. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Gozzo is on every trumpeter's short list of greatest lead trumpet players. Congrats to your son!

4. pepepepe

pepepepe New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    My father, Frederick "Doc" Mirliani was the band director at New Britain HS in the 30's and 40's. Conrad was his student. My father told me so many stories of Conrad and what an incredible player he was at such a young age.

He came to school one day and told my father that he was going to leave school and play professionally. Of course my father tried to dissuade him, to no avail. He came back one day to visit my father and played a solo for the whole school with my father accompanying him It was "Stardust", I believe.

Conrad was the most influential player in my life. I have many of the Mancini albums that he played on. Also, Chuck Sagel put out an album with Goz on lead.

Your son should be very proud of his award. Goz remains the standard for all lead players.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Gerv217,
    Congratulations to your son; really a great achievement.
    It is interesting to read about Conrad Gozzo.
    Cheers

6. ziffelsax

ziffelsax New Friend

Oct 30, 2009
    I was just looking around for an old friend and stumbled across the question; did anyone know Conrad Gazzo. Yes, I grew up with his son in Burbank. The Gazz's were like an extended family to me. His son, Conrad Gazzo, Jr. was a great Guitar player. It would be amazing to go to their home. Some of the people who would show up there would surprise you. I personally played sax. Mr. Gazzo had his issues, but was a one in a billion trumpet player. Your son who won that award has an award named after the best!