Did Knight blow fuse again?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Anonymous, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    LUBBOCK, Texas -- Bob Knight's fiery temper has him in trouble again.

The Texas Tech coach got into a verbal spat with the university chancellor, David Smith, at a grocery store Monday, prompting a review by school officials.

One eyewitness told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal that Knight raised his voice to Smith after the chancellor approached him at a salad bar to compliment the coach on his recent good behavior.

The witness told the paper that Knight flew into a rage and accused Smith of being a liar, saying that there had been nothing wrong with his demeanor this year.

Smith turned to leave the area, the Avalanche-Journal reported, but Knight followed. The chancellor then told Knight that he deserved more respect than Knight was showing him, according to the Avalanche-Journal.

The newspaper reports that no physical contact took place before Knight left the establishment after the confrontation, got in his car and pulled into traffic. According to the Avalanche-Journal, Knight stopped his car then and briefly got out before getting back in and driving away.

Smith said the matter was being handled internally.

"Right now, the athletic director and the president's office at the university are looking into the incident," Smith told The Associated Press. "We'll wait to hear more in the next few days about their review."

Asked whether there was any discussion of removing Knight, Smith told The Associated Press: "I can't comment on any of those things right now."

Knight was scheduled to be back on the sidelines Tuesday night when the Red Raiders (No. 18 ESPN/USA Today, No. 19 AP) play Baylor in Lubbock.

Gerald Myers, the university's athletic director who was instrumental in bringing Knight to Tech in 2001 after he was fired at Indiana, witnessed the encounter. Myers had accompanied Knight to the store, according to the Avalanche-Journal.

The encounter occurred when the men were getting food around lunchtime at Market Street, an upscale grocery store about two miles from the university, said Dan Sanders, chief marketing officer for United Supermarkets, which owns the store.

"Apparently, there was some sort of disagreement," Sanders said. "It took place very quickly."

Myers was unavailable for comment at his office Tuesday morning. Randy Farley, sports information director for basketball, referred all requests for comment to University President Jon Whitmore. Whitmore was not available for comment Tuesday morning.

Less than six weeks ago, Knight went into a profanity-filled tirade during a sit-down interview after ESPN's Fran Fraschilla asked about his relationship with former player Steve Alford, who was also participating in the interview. Knight later apologized for the incident.

Texas Tech is 4-2 in the Big 12 this season. The Red Raiders had been unbeaten in the league until last week, when they lost to Texas and Oklahoma State.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Texas Tech coach Bob Knight has been suspended for five days, a result of his verbal confrontation with university chancellor David Smith on Monday at a grocery store in Lubbock, ESPN's Dick Vitale reports.

Knight is not expected to coach the Red Raiders for their home game Tuesday night against Baylor, Vitale reports. The Red Raiders visit Kansas in Lawrence on Saturday.

3. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Only 5 days?

What a shame. I think he deserves more.

Texas Tech must live by the Golden Rule:

Those who own the gold make the rules.

m.

4. BachMan

BachMan Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2003
    You can't teach an old dog new tricks :!:

5. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    out

out

6. Nonsense Eliminator

Nonsense Eliminator New Friend

Nov 2, 2003
    Looks like Texas Tech has backed off and is going to let the greatest coach in college basketball do his job after all. Check out Dan Wetzel's column on Yahoo Sports. Normally I think Wetzel is kind of a weasel but he makes a good point here. The chancellor goes up to Bob Knight in a restaurant and says, basically, "Good job not screwing up lately." What kind of dimwit walks up to an employee in a public place and gives him a backhanded complement like that? I wouldn't like it if our conductor walked up to me in the green room and said, "Hey, Richard, I notice you haven't been clamming so many notes lately." If I were of comparable stature to Bob Knight, I would tell him where to go. (I'm not, so I wouldn't.) This numbnuts seems to have forgotten that the only reason anybody outside Texas even KNOWS there is such a school as Texas Tech is Robert Mongomery Knight, the greatest coach in college basketball.

7. drKmod

drKmod New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Okla. City, OK
    Just had breakfast with several alums from Knight's TT campus and they were all in agreement the University is just going to have to find another Chancellor to replace Smith. Seems Smith can't keep from agitating Knight. There's more to this than what we are hearing in the papers according to the alums. Seems as academia can't generate as much revenue as the sports programs.