Did my First Lesson

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hey,

Did my first music lesson for grades and felt disappointed. Perhaps my expectations are too high. I did not receive much, I did not get any written homework as such as to what to do or anything. Also he was no older than me (30) or there abouts. I felt as though the teacher himself was still learning.

Either way, I canceled doing my grades there. I always wanted a teacher who reminds me of someone that themselves are like on a world class level. I understand that is highly unlikely but I wanted someone with at least 30 years experience playing and understanding all the technical stuff that a real player would understand. Like a "Doctor of Music" if you will.

Anyways I rang up a man I knew from 15 months ago if he could teach me as I felt back then as though he was the one that could take me to Elmas. I read up about him yesterday and found out who he was. Now it makes sense why I "felt" in the right hands.

- He has been a member of the Band Association of NSW since 1955
    - As a soloist he won the 1988 World Expo Cornet Championship plus TEN Australian titles; 9 Australian cornet (6 in a row 1975 – 80) and Flugel Horn 2012. 20 NSW cornet championships and 3 consecutive Flugel NSW titles 2010-12
    - He is principal cornet of all Willoughby Band and Principal Flugel Horn in the National Australia Band. He continues to present World and Australian works at concerts and festivals in Australia; present Australian and Contemporary Brass literature is a feature at his recital and master class presentations in Australia and New Zealand.
    - He is internationally recognised as a master of pedagogy in Trumpet / Cornet literature.

Well I am confident he can take me to the finale if I do the work. I am VERY excited to have got him!

I am also practicing up to 2 hours a day myself already. 1 Hour x2 sessions. I am trying to increase up to 1.5 hours all at once as I really want to go places with this. As you can tell I am VERY excited about everything!

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Brian has the creds, now it's up to you to set your goals. He will help you to make those dreams happen.

Congrats and good luck

3. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    I think so to. I used to live not far from him when I looked 15 months ago, had maybe 5-7 lessons in total with him before I ended up moving due to work on Central Coast NSW. I rang him up over 15 months later and he still remembers me? I really like his style of teaching. It is boot camp, not 'come and fiddle around'

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Glad you are excited about your current instructor ..
    side note... 2x1hr is much better than 1x1.5hr ... imho

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hey,

Did my first music lesson for grades and felt disappointed. Perhaps my expectations are too high. I did not receive much, I did not get any written homework as such as to what to do or anything. Also he was no older than me (30) or there abouts. I felt as though the teacher himself was still learning.
    ---------------
    I think it's a dreadful mistake to assume that age insures proficiency and youth insures a lack of knowledge. As for learning, I've yet to see or meet a successful trumpet player who isn't still learning.
    ---------------
    Either way, I canceled doing my grades there. I always wanted a teacher who reminds me of someone that themselves are like on a world class level. I understand that is highly unlikely but I wanted someone with at least 30 years experience playing and understanding all the technical stuff that a real player would understand. Like a "Doctor of Music" if you will.
    ---------------
    Again, a fancy degree and age does not insure proficiency in teaching. There's been more than one professor with a doctorate literally screw up students because they had no appriciation for individual differences and tried to fit everyone into a one-size-fits-all mold.
    ---------------
    Anyways I rang up a man I knew from 15 months ago if he could teach me as I felt back then as though he was the one that could take me to Elmas. I read up about him yesterday and found out who he was. Now it makes sense why I "felt" in the right hands.
    - He has been a member of the Band Association of NSW since 1955
    - As a soloist he won the 1988 World Expo Cornet Championship plus TEN Australian titles; 9 Australian cornet (6 in a row 1975 – 80) and Flugel Horn 2012. 20 NSW cornet championships and 3 consecutive Flugel NSW titles 2010-12
    - He is principal cornet of all Willoughby Band and Principal Flugel Horn in the National Australia Band. He continues to present World and Australian works at concerts and festivals in Australia; present Australian and Contemporary Brass literature is a feature at his recital and master class presentations in Australia and New Zealand.
    - He is internationally recognised as a master of pedagogy in Trumpet / Cornet literature.
    Well I am confident he can take me to the finale if I do the work. I am VERY excited to have got him!
    ------------
    You dumped the first person in are going for this new person, right? Sometimes it's just a bad fit between the student and the teacher.
    ------------
    I am also practicing up to 2 hours a day myself already. 1 Hour x2 sessions. I am trying to increase up to 1.5 hours all at once as I really want to go places with this. As you can tell I am VERY excited about everything!
    ------------
    There's a good chance the new teacher is going to ask you to do things that you won't necessarily want to do or fail to understand the logic. This is where you will need a leap of faith and just trust that they are telling you something that will help even if you don't understand.
    I'm happy that you found a teacher that you are excited about. You're being afforded a great opportunity so don't cock it up by coming across as questioning and untrusting. Probably not exactly what you want to hear but I hope some of it helps.
    Dr.Mark

6. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    My lesson just didn't feel right. Yeah "age" does not have to do with everything but at the same time, it does because someone that has played for 50+ years verse perhaps the last 10+ does make a difference. Also the lesson was very much "ok play this song, ok lets try one more, ok good, yep not too bad, nah dont worry about that"

No technical things got pointed out, no homework written for what is expected for me to do or anything. They mainly teach kids and I felt like all this 'positive' reinforcement made me sick. I know it sounded Shiz, there saying 'nah your doing well'. Like Dude... Im not 10 years old! I know it sounded crap, just say it sounded crap otherwise what do I have to fix if everything is 'good'.

So I just simply did not like it at all and really didn't get anything useful out of it. Not technical things got pointed out, nothing. Hence that + the age made me just feel blah.

Thanks for tip. Do what is said even if doesn't make sense. From the few lessons I received from this teacher I'm going back to 15+ months ago, I know everything is good. He tries to explain things more than one way to help me understand if I am not understanding what he is actually asking me to do (which is usually the breathing stuff as that is not something you can see).