Did You Ever Try............?

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by wiseone2, Oct 25, 2004.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The Tchaikovsky 4th on a D trumpet? Sibelius 2nd works on the D. The piccolo trumpet part in "The Rites of Spring" goes nice on the Eb trumpet.
    That pesky lick in Capriccio Italien goes great on the Eb.
    If you have an E trumpet, try it on the Wagner "Venusburg Music." The higher horns can save your butt sometimes in non-baroque music.
    Wilmer

2. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    hmmm nope never tried those. Why D for Sibelius 2nd? I know there is no right or wrong answer :). Just curious as to why you would want to play it on that horn.

This could be a fun thread if we get alot of comments and suggestions

How about Ballerina's Dance on Eb

Nutcracker solo on Eb

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have tried a lot of this stuff at home but been too chicken to try it playing with others.

What would people think?

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    They would say"He sure sounds GREAT :eek:
    Those quiet high entrances in the Sibelius are easier, for me, on the D.
    I can play a G on the D trumpet softer than the A on my C trumpet.
    Krauss pulled my coat on this. Sam, not Dave...........hmmmmm!
    Sam and Dave........... it's already been done :lol: I play the D trumpet a lot when the parts are in F.
    Wilmer

5. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Gotcha on that Sibelius. Wasn't there some famous guy that played trumpet in the NYP that used D trumpet alot :wink:

Keep em coming Wilmer!

thanks

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Wilmer, interestingly enough I happened to hear the Tchaikovsky 4 on the radio while driving home this afternoon; played by a Russian orchestra (forget which one). I kept thinking "man, what blow for the whole brass section but especially the trumpets!" Got home, turned on the computer and noticed this thread. I can easily believe that one would want to use a specific keyed horn for it!

Edit: Oh, btw, that lick is coming along nicely now... got it clean to about 160 so naturally the director told us he'd probably conduct it around 140! (I'm still going to work on it though).

7. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I use the Eb on Ballerina Dance and on some Tchaik solo stuff, but won't the sound of the D trumpet be too small for Tchaik 4? I mean I see that excerpt as one of those balls to the wall excerpts where you just gotta know some walls down, can this really be done on D or Eb? I'd like to get some feedback from those that have done it and/or have heard it done. Thanks a lot!

8. trumplyr

trumplyr Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Rochester Hills, Mi.
    Wilmer,

I'll be doing Capriccio Italien in a couple of weeks and will do it on my Bb cornet. I don't find the transposition to be hard at all, however, I will work on it with my Eb. Good for the mental exercise (brain strain :roll: ) that I'll get out of it. Thanks for the tip.

Also, using a D trumpet for F parts is intriguing. I never thought of that. Wish I had a D trumpet that sounded big enough to try that. The E3L just sounds too small to my ears for most orchestral parts. Thanks again.

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "The Tchaikovsky 4th on a D trumpet?"

One of the things Vacchiano used to say was "Always keep a D trumpet in your case just in case you get into trouble". That advice came in handy on my first gig with Seattle symphony.

It was a back-to-back outdoor gig that focused on repertoire that featured brass since they had a new kid playing principal trumpet and the conductor was a former trombonist, Richard Buckley. A Gabrieli canzona, Procession of the Nobles, a bunch of other stuff culminating with the last movement of Tchaik 4th. Twice with a half hour break in between.

I packed my horn in the case like the old man said because it seemed like a good idea. Sure enough, I started to feel it in the middle of the second show so I pulled out the D and it went great. That's why Vacchiano spent so much time on transposition, so we'd never be intimidated by any transposition to the point where we'd not use an easier horn to play a piece or a passage.

The most unique combo of transpositon and horn I've ever used, I used on the "ports of call" album with Eiji. Vacchiano gave me a tip once about Capriccio Italien:" Get your D and pull out the tuning slide. Now replace it with a slide with slide from your C. Now you've got a Db trumpet. That puts the technical lick in C major!"

And that's what I used on that album for that lick.

ML

10. Par-None

Par-None New Friend

Oct 23, 2004
    My teacher in undergrad, Ruth Still, studied with Vacchiano way back. She told us stories of him using a D all the time...with a 10 or 10.5C mpc. She was a transposition freak and found great pleasure in putting us through the same torture Vacchiano put her through. I'm thankful for it now though. Transposing doesn't make me flinch at all anymore.

It's weird though. She used to say (as I was cursing her and the Sachse book) that when I learned to transpose it'd become like second nature, like I wouldn't even have to think about it because it'd just happen. I sure as heck didn't believe her then, but I do now. Transposing actually got to be fun. See what I mean? Weird.