Did you ever wish...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by silverstar, Apr 8, 2006.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I still mess around all the time. I don't play for a living so it's not critical that I'm at my best at all times but I still feel some pressure to play well.

That being said, I have days where I just play to have fun and keep my lip up. Like today I didn't care about all that stuff we work on day after day. I put on some Music Minus One and played a couple of concertos just for the fun of playing them. Maybe that's a break for me.

Tomorrow I'll work some and then I have to perform.

2. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    The more you know, the more you realize you don't know...

3. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    Fighting your chops? That is a very telling statement. So many of your posts tell me that you are thinking way too much about your chops. Now you are exploring a method that is chop oriented? Manny tells us time and again to focus on sound yet so many continue to look elsewhere for answers. Get to Iowa City right now and start lessons with Brent.

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    To extrapolate on what MB just said.....

The longer you play and pursue being a musician, the more your ears, mind, physical coordination and chops improve, the more acute your hearing becomes, the more your mind recognizes what will take you to a higher level, the more expansive your musical language becomes and the more your body responds. It is a cycle of endless growth. It is hard work at times, but the reward is what keeps us coming back for more....for the next cycle....for the next level....always toward excellence and freedom of musical expression. I think, through this process, "fun" morphs into joy, fulfillment and satisfaction. You are maturing as a player and with that comes the desire to grow......and a few growing pains.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Does it ever end? Do you ever get so good that the growing stops?

6. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I sincerely hope not!! What fun would that be??

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Honestly B15, I don't believe it ever does stop. We, as humans, continually change, grow, ferment, etc. As long as you grow or cease to grow as a person, you will grow or cease to grow as a musician. It is inescapable in my opinion. My point is that by the mere fact we are human beings, we are forever undergoing metamorphosis due to our own choices, aging and the things that happen to us. What we are inside makes its way into our music - for better or worse. The two are tightly connected. Everything we do and feel causes a chain reaction in our lives. Trumpet or no trumpet. Physical changes, at the very least, will cause us to find ways to maintain our musical voice as our bodies change. Either way, it is an ever evolving process.

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Not as long as your ears work and your heart has the capacity to grow.

ML

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Constant growth

In the history of Raphael Mendez, it is mentioned that his wife complained of Raphael starting his daily practice session in his pajamas and never quit until it was late at night and he she was forced to take the horn away from his mouth so that he could get to bed. He also missed meals very often in his constant quest for perfection in his playing. Anyone who has seen me will quickly tell that I have never been THAT dedicated. My gross obesity is graphic testimony to my inordinate love of eating.

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Constant growth

In the history of Raphael Mendez, it is mentioned that his wife complained of Raphael starting his daily practice session in his pajamas and never quit until it was late at night and he she was forced to take the horn away from his mouth so that he could get to bed. He also missed meals very often in his constant quest for perfection in his playing. Anyone who has seen me will quickly tell that I have never been THAT dedicated. My gross obesity is graphic testimony to my inordinate love of eating. :oops: