Did you guys check out the 4 year old?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Bugleboy21

Bugleboy21 Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2005
    Fort Eustis, VA
    I thought I would advertise here as well:

For Sale:

Bach 229GH, 25H, silver, rounded tuning slide
    Bach 43, 25, silver
    Bach 37 cornet, 7 leadpipe (purchased from the President's Own Marine Band)
    Yamaha custom pic, silver
    Yamaha Shew flugel

A box full of mouthpieces
    A whole bunch of mutes
    5 boxes of music books/sheet music
    ....and anything else involved with trumpet playing.
    I quit!

2. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Bugleboy21,

It's okay for you to decide to take some time off... but don't sell everything... you will regret it... believe me - been there!!!

Trumpeters never quit... we just go to sleep for a while... once it's in your blood dude, you'll never get it out... It will only be a matter of time and something will speak to that part of you and you will start playing again.... so take a break... don't say you are quiting.

Rogerio

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Sergeant,

Don't sell your horns yet! I hear he just enlisted and they're making him C.O. of some outfit in Texas...

ML

4. Bugleboy21

Bugleboy21 Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2005
    Fort Eustis, VA
    Ok....you all twisted my arm enough. I think i can find enough courage to ....sob, sob....go on! :-P

Seriously, I do have some mouthpieces for sale...check the classified forums. And if any of you think that I will EVER sell any of those horns, you're just living in a different world.

This kid is absolutely amazing! I could barely squak out "hot cross buns" as a 9 year old!

5. missednote

missednote Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2005
    Naples, Italy
    That little boys teacher Dave Detwiler is a well known teacher in the northern VA/DC area. He is a retired Army guy. He was a cornet soloist with the DC concert band and the lead player for The Army Blues, the top Army big band. The man can do it all, and all on a 13A4A. He's a great chop doctor too. Chances are if there's anything big gonig on in the DC area and you hear a trumpet player it's probably him. I studied with him in HS and still try to get a lesson whenever I'm in town. Sure was great to see him on TV. He had told me about that student over the phone. He was just as amazed as the rest of us the first time he heard him! Great story. And what a cute kid!

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
  7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Ed,

I just read the story and called Mike Williams, Basie's long time lead player.

He said it was amazing! The kid was a little short guy, 10 years old.
    It was a blues jam in F and the kid played "real well, and did some high notes too."

Mike was very impressed and said all the guys got a big kick out of it.

AT THE END OF THE STORY ON TOOTSALL's LINK IS A VIDEO OF HIM PLAYING
    HE IS PLAYING TRUMPET WITH ONE HAND AND COMPING HIMSELF WITH THE LEFT HAND< THEN DOES A PIANO SOLO

-cw-

8. missednote

missednote Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2005
    Naples, Italy
    Funny you should put that link up Toots, I was actually thinking of Tyler when I read the first story. I had a few lessons with his father when I was in the VA beach area. His son was maybe 7? at the time and I could already tell that he would be making news someday. Who knew it would be so soon? Both of his parents are VERY talented musicians. The son, Tyler, inherited perfect pitch from his father. Dad pulled my tuning slide and had me play a passage for his son, to which his son repiled.. "Well that was good but you're flat." I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more from Tyler.