Did Your Teacher Play At Your Lessons?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wiseone2, Nov 14, 2004.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Sam Krauss and Gil Johnson did. Sigmund Hering and Nat Prager did not.
    They all were great influences in my playing career. Krauss and Johnson spent most of the time working with me on repertoire. Hearing them close up was to be a lifetime memory. But come to think of it, with the exception of my very first teacher, they ALL worked on orchestral stuff.

How, if at all, did a playing teacher influence you?

Oh........ I play when I teach.

Wilmer

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Great topic, Wilmer!

1969-73 My first teacher, Jimmy Smith, played very sparingly but when he did it was always a watershed event for me. His tone was crystal clear and it was the first time in my life that I had the opportunity to hear someone in his position play. His articulation was also that nice, on-the-button tonguing that I came to associate later with the Vince Cichowicz's
    students.

Summer '73,'74,'74 Rob Roy McGregor always played for me and was a huge influence. His playing style prepared me perfectly for my lessons that were to later follow with Vacchiano that fall after Eastern Music Festival.

1973-77 Vacchiano probably played five times in the four years I studied with him at Julilliard. The times he did it was very important for me to hear. It was a grand demonstration, more often than not, of the articlation that seemed to come out of nowhere. His staccato was very unique as it was full blooded yet dry at the same time. Gorgeous!

1974, 1976 Mel Broiles played a lot for me. His style was very inspiring to hear. It was extremely rich and loaded with the approproate character for the piece we were working on. I could listen to him for hours, it was so energizing.

1980 I looked forward to hearing Vince C. play in our few lessons. I lived to hear that crystalline articulation that I came to him to learn

1980 My two lessons with Bud... I can still hear his tone and the remarkable vitality that his double tonguing had. I could almost "see" the sound coming out his bell!

1980, 1988, Arnold Jacobs never played for me yet was, as a professional, the most important coach I ever had. He reminded me listen to the sound that all the previously mentioned gentlemen put in my ear!

Again, great topic, Wilmer. Thanks for bringing back some fond memories for me on this beautiful Sunday morning!

ML

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    That is really interesting. You guys have certainly had some impressive teachers!

Personally, my first teacher was a trombone player who did play in my lessons - a bit bizzare, I know!

I spent last year learning with Paul Archibald, who would rarely play in my lessons, and when he did it would be to demonstrate something very specific. Even though he didn't play much in lessons, I've seen him a couple of times in concerts and his playing is really remarkable. I sat for about 5 minutes outside a room once listening to him practice Enescu's "Legende" - absolutely breathtaking!

My current teacher, Bob Farley seems to play a bit more often, but again only for demonstrating specific stuff. He has the most incredible sound, and hearing that kind of sound coming from the chair next to you is something I don't think I have experienced before - very illuminating!

I love hearing my teachers play - I wish they would play more often to be honest, but I presume they limit themselves to allow *your* interpretation to come through?

4. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    I have had three private lesson teachers in my 6 yeears of playing. The second and third have been very helpful because they understood the way I learn best. Hear it, then play it. I have the Carnival book with all the songs on the cd by Wynton. Those were easy to work through(not all of the crazy stuff, just the lyrical and SOME technical) because I could play the song on the player and then try to mimic that.
    AndrewWk

5. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Excellent topic, thanks Wilmer!

One of the finest teachers I studied with was Keith Johnson. Keith was the trumpet teacher at Northern Iowa in those years and has since been Professor of Trumpet at North Texas. He played at almost every lesson, and through that sound and wonderful musicianship I developed far better than had we just talked and played through the lesson. Bill Pfund at Northern Colorado was exceptional at playing in your lesson and getting you to play better by trying to sound like that (match his phrasing, inflection, emotion etc.). Dom Spera really did this well! For certain lead playing lessons it was like sitting next to Gozzo, he'd take your breath away! I studied with Mr. Jacobs for a summer in the early 70's, and he did play some, expecially the Arban exercises and Schlossberg he had me practice. I still can't look at those pages without remembering his tone and easy flow of air he played with, and how musically he performed them. A few lessons in the early 80's with Uan Rasey was a real revelation in true virtuoso trumpet playing. I had no idea the trumpet could be played at that level. His technique, range, accuracy, SOUND, dexterity, and total musicianship were unbelievable. Schlossberg played so high, light and easy as if playing clarinet or flute. And real reverence for every note.

I think most really great teachers today play in every lesson. Most students frame of reference may be the guy sitting next to them, so real playing needs to come into their brain from somewhere.

Besides, it's how the brain works best to learn this complex thing we do called "making music through trumpet playing!"

6. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Lloyd Geisler was my teacher from 68-72 (Summers only), and all year from 74 until he retired ( can't remember the year). He played during my lessons, and I can close my eyes and imagine his playing today! Mr. Geisler's teacher was Sol Caston at Curtis. He told me that he would go to a practice room after a lesson with Mr. Caston and try to imitate his sound.
    I play a lot with my students, and believe that is a great way to deveop their tonal concepts. I know that is how I learned.
    Roy

7. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

My first teacher was also a trombone player, and as far as I can remember, she played at lessons. My second teacher (we're still back in high school at this point) was a fellow named Allan Rossi, and he played in lessons, too. I had two summers with the late Eric Schultz at camps and he played tons for us.

My 'full time' teachers at the University of Toronto, James Spragg, and Jeffrey Reynolds played in lessons. Jeffrey played a lot as I recall. I had several lessons with Stephen Chenette and he also played, and although he had been retired from playing for some time, he still had a solid tone which I can remember clearly. I had lessons with Arnie Chycoski of the Boss Brass, and he played regularly. I also had a few lessons with Arnold Jacobs, who played only on his mouthpiece as I recall. Ironically I can still clearly recall the sound of his voice. He played in the studio after my lesson, while I was in the hall writing out notes from the lesson, and the sound he produced was absolutely stunning.

Recently I had a lesson with Roger Ingram, and he definitely played (up to a triple D without much of a warm up, followed by the statement, "Oh, that sh*t's all easy. :shock: ). I'm currently studying with Chase Sanborn, and he plays examples of everything we are doing at each lesson, as well as using CD's of others occasionally.

8. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    Did your teacher play for you at lessons?

Vacchiano played for me at lessons. I remember him doing things like the Clarke "Carnival of Venice". He could really play cornet solos. The year I studied with James Smith he also played. I studied with Ray Crisara in graduate school and his playing was unforgetable. Presently I study with Ray Mase and he plays at lessons.

I play a lot at lessons I give. I think it's about the most important thing I do in a lesson. As a kid I idolized Yogi Berra. ( I still do.) When he was asked to explain batting he tried and finally just said "just watch me".

Larry Malin

9. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Both my teachers, Manny Laureano and George Recker played a lot during my lessons. I remember gaining so much by listening to their sound and style, and then trying to imitate what I heard.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.........

Thanks again, Manny and George.

:-)

Mike

10. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Re: Did your teacher play for you at lessons?

Sam Krauss was a deep thinker. He was in the company of some of the most innovative wind players in history. Sam developed his concepts from interaction with Kincaid and Tabuteau. Sometimes at lessons I wouldn't understand what the heck he was talking about, but when he picked up the horn and played what he was talking about this thick headed kid was able to grasp his concepts.
    Sam's ideas were for use in orchestral playing. He taught economy of movement, efficient use of air. I play with mouthfuls of air. I learned this from Sam. This does not work for everyone, but it works for me.
    Some of Sam's stuff is at-
    http://www.petrouska.com/
    This is a really neat site.

I play at all my students lessons, it is the way I learned and I am just passing it on.

Wilmer