Didn't know where else to put this, but on music notation so

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by butxifxnot, Apr 23, 2006.

1. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    ftware, is Finale really $400 better than Allegro?

From those with experience with the software.

:) Any suggestions would be great. I love writing music. The software I have is more geared toward mixing tracks than writing music...

2. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Re: Didn't know where else to put this, but on music notatio

Encore is a great program. Much more intuiitive than Finale. It doesn't take much to qualiify for the academic version. If you already own Allegro this is the way to go.

http://www.gvox.com/fr_body_tradeupoffer.php

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Yes it is $400 better. Worth every penny. If you are a student, you are eligible for an educational discount.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I am a Sibelius man myself. It came to about $400 canadian with the education discount and it worth every penny. Sibelius 4 is just incredible.

5. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    Right now I am writing full scores, and the software that I have has few channels (16) and (get this) doesn't do dynamics in the playback.

This is why I am thinking of a more specialized software, and Finale came up (then Allegro, and now Sibelius and Encore).

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I like Sibelius. It's a little simpler and intuitive that Finale in my opinion. Of course, my main use for it is to arrange stuff for gigs, so if you're doing serious composition there might be more to consider that I don't know about.
    -Jimi

7. Darktrumpeter

Darktrumpeter Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2004
    NJ, USA
    I too am a Sibelius man. Haven't tried version 4 out, but 2 & 3 are great. I find that it is much quicker to put the music into the computer once you get used to using the keyboard. I only use the mouse to jump around the page when sibelius is running. Learn the keyboard shortcuts and then you can put almost anything you want onto paper quickly.

8. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    If you're really serious about it, I'd go with Finale. From what I've experianced it's the most "perfessional" program out there. Sibelius is more user friendly, but you can go into much greater detail with Finale.
    It's deffinatly worth the $400.