Diet affects trumpet playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Aug 7, 2008.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Someone told me today that what you eat will affect how you play on your trumpet so that is one reason you need to have a balanced diet. Have any of you guys heard of this and if so elaborate with what is good and what is not good.

2. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    food is good

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Cobragamer,
    Why is a balanced diet good?
    There is nothing diet specific for trumpet. Take care of your body and it will take care of you. Don't pig out before a gig. If you eat stuff that flames in and out, your colleagues could end up looking for a new section mate!

4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think that being fit will help. The better your cardiovascular and pulmonary health, the more your indurance and air support. But I don't think it takes an athlete to make a good trumpet player. What you eat could damage the horn if you aren't playing with a clean mouth. I play in a community orchestra with a section mate who chews gum while she plays. She thinks it's OK because it's sugar-free gum.

Don't believe everything you hear / read either. :)

5. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I ate a dodgy chilli once before playing the Busser in a recital. As soon as i went for the top C i FARTED; and yes it upset my trumpet playing. I lost all diaphragm support, and splat that top C. I think it is still ringing in that recital hall.

To get back to your point, yes diet can affect your playing. Stay off the curry and chilli before a recital!:thumbsup:

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I’ll agree that nutrition plays a part in our playing, but I had a German doctor point out to me that our bodies produce pretty much all they need out of the raw materials we feed it. Her example was the Eskimo, who eat whale blubber for a good part of the year.

The issue isn’t so much what we feed our bodies over the long term, but the short term. If it is winter, I prefer soup before a gig. In summer months, I prefer salads.

A bigger issue is the following:

If we are concerned about the food we eat before a gig, have we really practiced enough?

I dunno!

7. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Many years ago, Ole Edv. Antonsen mentioned in a TV interview
    that his personal diet before a concert was pasta.

("Quiet food":huh:...works like a plug which let the air go upwards?)

8. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    Is this some variation on the Vulgano "RAY OF POWER"?
    ROFL

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Raphael Mendez made the claim that salty foods do more than one bad thing for any wind musician. It makes staying properly hydrated difficult and causes the lips to swell, while leaving the musician with a bad taste in his/her mouth. I doubted this as a youth and tried to Violate Mr. Mendez' rule. I found out the hard way that he was, as usual, correct. I now, leave any and all salty foods alone before playing my horn.

OLDLOU>>

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    We used to have Mitch Miller at an annual pops-concert. He made us work, which was cool the first couple of years, and one year he was a real jerk. A typical pops-concert, we had a rehearsal that lasted until 4:30 p.m., with a 7:30 p.m. call. Some of us decided to discover how much beer we could drink between the rehearsal and the concert. It was quite a bit, and after that this Vulgano decided to eat salads or eat soup in the future.

If the record has been broken since then, this Vulgano won't be a part of the team trying to break it.

Soup and salad are just fine, thank you.