Diet, Supplementation and Trumpet Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamba21500, Sep 7, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I prefer the high fiber in violas.. My motto... eat a viola for lunch!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Lysine works FABULOUSLY at preventing this... my patients love me for recommending this... Some have been known to even kiss me in gratitude... of course once their cold sore has resolved.

3. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I've often wondered about the back and forth debate on this subject. Studies notwithstanding, I know that when I take a multi-vitamin, I seem to become sick (colds, flu, etc.) less frequently, and if I do get sick, I am over it much more quickly. I cannot base this on any scientific studies, only on personal observation over my 40 something years of periods in life when I have and have not taken a multi. Coincidence? Imagination? Placebo? Deficient in...something? Dunno, I just know that I choose to take my multi, and, if nothing else, I have more expensive pee........:lol:

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Ahhh sooo... I say sake to me [and forget the beer]

kingtrumpet likes this.
  5. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I've always been curious about performance enhancing drugs among competitive professional trumpet players.......now I know!! :lol:

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is all true, and putting it in perspective, if you walk 30-40 minutes a day at a comfortable pace, 4-5 days a week, you will increase your basilar DAILY calorie burning by 400 calories a day EVEN on the 2-3 days you are not walking. Putting it into another perspective 400 calories a day x 7 days in a week = 2800 calories which translates close to a pound of fat last per week.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh but what about playing the trumpet while making love... now we are talking about some serious burning here!!! Yeah Buddy!!!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nah.. the huge factor they expereince is that they are competitive sportspeople... and getting out to do physical excercise... the supplements... they factor in not nearly as much... if at all.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You never had any problem with me calling you that in the past... Oh yeah that was the time you were wearing that skirt... no problem... it's our little secret.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    There is reasonable evidence that vitamin C and zinc can help treat the common cold. So maybe that's that link.

But either way, Bob has a healthy view on the subject. Nothing wrong with a daily multivitamin. It might help. It probably won't hurt (although certain supplements have known side effects).

In the end, maybe Vulgano has it right ... bananas, aspirin and beer. :-)

Mike