Diet, Supplementation and Trumpet Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamba21500, Sep 7, 2013.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I love and respect Turtle's reply. I agree that claims by so-called experts might appear capricious or self-serving, as Turtle suggested. Turn on any infomercial about supplements, and you're likely to find both.

However, my statement was on 2 articles I read earlier this year from the Annals of Internal Medicine and the Journal of the American Medical Association. Dozens of similar studies have been published. These studies have to go through a stringent peer-review process and have to provide evidence that they are not self-serving.

But it can be confusing. And there's room for different opinions. My own view, which I stated above, was that a basic multivitamin (used with tempered expectations) might be reasonable. For anything beyond that, I'd talk to your doctor.

(Tongue-in-cheek warning) Oh ... and the question is not whether global warming exists today. No one doubts this. Just like no one doubts that global warming occurred many times in the past. The question for debate is whether people's actions are causing it. :-)

Mike

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So true... and in your case... a good "healthy" application of TurtleWax should do the trick.

3. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    You might be onto something. I wonder how many omega-3 fatty acids are in TurtleWax? :-)

Mike

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh... I blame it on my trumpet solos since I have been playing with the Eddie Brookshire Quintet. As an example, at yesterday's rehearsal, I ended "I Remember Clifford" on the high A just below double high C. ON MY FLUGELHORN. It really warmed up an already warm song... to the global warming level... Yep... I would be the one to blame for this.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    another question is: are natural disasters (ie. volcanoes, Hurricanes, Typhoons, floods, solar Flares, etc.) -- contributing to the overall pollution of the earth? depending on the "contrived" literature you read ---- volcanoes emit less CO2 than humans, but they emit large amounts of Hydrogen Sulfide, which is converted to Sulfur Dioxide -- which is bad for you to breathe!!!! and of course Floods produce sediments and clog water ways, fisheries ((compare that to the man on the street where it is impossible for people to cause that much erosion)), and of course -- add in the destructive nature of Hurricanes, not to mention the cosmic rays from the sun (and ultraviolet rays and such) that cause sunburns, and heating, and cancer ---- yeah, the earth is not all that friendly to us either!!! ------------------------ and for the people who say --- "people cause all the natural disasters, or they are changing the atmosphere ---- I ask but one question ------------- "where are the dinosaurs?", and "why did the dinosaurs disappear without being first subjected to the industrial revolution?" -----------------------OK, that was 2 questions ROFL ROFL ROFL

incidentally I wonder ---- do you think dinosaur eggs had a lot of protein??? ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

SECRET'S OUT!

Yes, it's true. A wax, a shine, a good probiotic .... and I'm ready to face a steady diet of BUGS.:-)

Turtle

7. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    That's it! :-)

Mike

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    As a psuedoscientist, cryptozoology is one of the many fields of study I am involved with, and the answer may surprise you. In order for civilization to fully meet its potential, people need to live in the same place and stop being nomadic hunter-gatherers. There were two ways to achieve this--one, the invention of beer kept people close to home. For those nonconforming folk who refused to imbibe and wanting the old travelling ways to continue, a brilliant plan was hatched (not as good as the beer ideal, but still pretty good). In secret, giant bone looking things were carved in order to scare the populous. "Don't leave the valley, 'cuz there are giant things outside wanting to eat you!

It worked, for the most part. The group that created these "bones" at Stonehedge fooled nobody, and Dean O, the leader of the construction crew was quite sore with his team. People would remark, "Dean O sore." After the Dark Ages, the first "dinosaur" was discovered in 1676, and was obviously one of the earliest fake bones. It wasn't until 1822 when uncovering "fossils" took a big leap forwards during the the Industrial Revolution. Making these bones out of stone was made much easier, and the business tycoons of the day started planting these ersatz bones in coal mines and quarries and such. It was a notable effort to get the miners to enjoy their work, "Who knows, I might find a dinosaur" kept workers pacified.

I hope this has cleared things up for you.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Let me clear it up: Someone dropped a big freekin meteor on the world... and it was good nite Dino.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hah! Where were they standing, huh? What did they do to enhance performance? Vitamins? Amino Acids? Or what? :cool: