Difference between C and B-Flat books? Beginner Question.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Overtones, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Moreso I've found when one purchases the less expensive fake books, one gets a lot of imprecise composition as if compiled not from original music, but taken from a recording in a less than perfect acoustic circumstance and often produced in the wrong concert key ... one entirely not favorable for the sound of trumpets. Too, I found the majority of fake books to be overloaded with less recognized songs.

Want good music ... purchase original sheet music, albeit it being more costly.

Hal-Leonard is just a printer and marketer of music who is paid by others to do so.

Personally, I like C instrument music, preferably piano.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Get the Bb fake books or you're in for a world of hurt.....jus' sayin'.

Dale Proctor likes this.
  3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Overtones, regarding, "A lot of songs just don't sound that good on the trumpet and some are written with notes so low that they sound terrible" that's just the way it is and you have to learn to live with it. That has nothing to do with that particular edition. If you get a collection of songs written in the original keys, that's what you get. They - make that practically "none" - were not written for the trumpet. So naturally, there might be some that are in awkward ranges for the trumpet. IMO it would be crazy to buy an entire book in the wrong transposition just to make a few songs more playable on the trumpet. These are things you just have to learn to work around. Does this make sense? Did I write this right?

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Kehaulani,

IMO opinion not many songs were originally ever written with a trumpet part in mind whereas most were composed on keyboards of one kind or another. Then the arrangers took over! Personally, I've no difficulty with C music as I learned to sight transpose it to Bb trumpets, clarinets, tenor trombones, tenor sax etc. and can, with a bit of tedium, transpose it for any other instrument. Too, in about the last 25 years, more of the favored music seems limited to the pluck strings, drums and keyboard augmented by vocals. Need I say a whole genre now excludes brass and probably forever will ... and that is blue grass which is highly favored in my area. Yeah, I'd say C music is many times more prolific than any other and more likely to be on the market first with a new song.