Difference between cornet and trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Publius_, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Publius_

Publius_ Banned

Jan 21, 2009
    ----
    I have always been wondering what the difference between the cornet and trumpet. I heard a lot of different reasons but no idea which to believe.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, a cornet should have more folds in the tubing, begins with a smaller diameter mouthpiece receiver, has a longer leadpipe, and has a shorter bell with a quicker flare. There's not a lot of difference in the amount of conical vs. cylindrical tubing on them, but the cornet has slightly more conical tubing. These differences typically give the cornet a more mellow tone, a little more flexibility, and less projection than a trumpet.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  3. Publius_

Publius_ Banned

Jan 21, 2009
    ----
    oh that might be the reason why the cornet sounds a little more muffled or so it seemed to me.

4. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Here's part of an old post I made concerning the differences:

I have a Bach Strad 43 trumpet and a Bach Strad 184G shepherd's crook cornet. I measured them a couple of years ago and here are the results:

Tapered section of leadpipe: Trumpet =9.5" Cornet=14.5"
    Total leadpipe length (to the 3rd valve): Trumpet=25.5" Cornet=30.5"
    Bell length: Trumpet=25.5" Cornet=20.5"

So, the shepherds' crook cornet IS a more conical instrument than the trumpet, as the cornet begins with a smaller receiver and has a more severe bell taper (and much more of the trumpet bell is cylindrical before the bell taper begins). Even the tuning slide on the Bach cornet tapers in size - it's smaller diameter tubing on the leadpipe side. Interestingly, the trumpet ratio of leadpipe to bell lengths is 1:1, and the SC cornet ratio is 3:2. Again, this is a generalization based on Bach horns, but the numbers will be similar with most comparisons between true trumpets and short cornets. Long cornets and many cheaper shepherds' crook cornets fall somewhere betwen these sets of measurements.

A good cornet/mouthpiece combo shouldn't sound muffled, but should have a richer sound, still clear, with less of an edge.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    When you think about it, the valve body on the cornet is located 5 inches downstream from where the trumpet valve body is placed. So the action of adding tubing length by pressing valves takes place where the tubing has increased in diameter and thus the valve slide tubes need to be relatively larger to not restrict air flow/standing wave. And the standing wave/air flow travels 5 inches farther before any mechanical interruption, and less far after. I do not know if this plays into the sound equation or not. It is just an observation.
    v

6. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The leadpipe tubing is the same size when it reaches the valve block on both horns. Here's something interesting - I have a spare leadpipe from a Bach 181 (long) cornet, and it's more like a trumpet pipe. It's larger at the mouthpiece receiver and tapers only to the tuning slide receiver. The 184 leadpipe starts much smaller, and as I said, continues to expand through the tuning slide.

7. Publius_

Publius_ Banned

Jan 21, 2009
    ----
    what exactly is a bell taper? Also is there a difference if you have no tuning slide braces or one or two? Or does it not make a difference

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  8. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    The braces are supposed to do something with the sound but I don't know for sure, they might even be there for extra support(so the leadpipe doesn't collapse when pushed or sat on). But honestly, I found no difference in a horn with or without braces...