Difference between Triads and Arpeggios?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Aug 20, 2012.

1. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    My assumption is that the Triad is only 3 notes where as an arpeggio can cover several notes, but was trying to verify for sure what the difference is, since conceivably they could almost be the same.

How does it differ on non-trumpet? I got the impression that on piano, for instance that a triad would be a chord played together but an arpeggio would be played progressively from note to note.

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    First, here is a definition of a triad (Wikipedia) :
    ….…….……
    In music and music theory, a triad is a three-note chord that can be stacked in thirds.
    Its members, when actually stacked in thirds, from lowest pitched tone to highest, are called:
    the Root
    the Third (whose interval is a major third or minor third above the root)
    and the Fifth (whose interval is a major or minor third above the third, and a diminished, perfect, or augmented fifth above the root).
    Now, this : any chord (not only triads) can be played all the notes together (vertically -on the piano, more difficult with a trumpet :-) -) OR as arpeggios, i.e. one note after the other (horizontally).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Standard major Triad, Tonic, mediant, dominant Trumpeters triad Tonic, Gin, Lemon

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Or stated a little differently from a performance standpoint:

Think of a triad as a harmonic unit, formed of thirds, played simultaneously.
    Think of an arpeggio as a single-note series of notes which outlines the chord.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Thanks Kehaulani but I couldn't resist the gag

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Notes played one at a time arpeggio, oplayed all at once triads and chords.

7. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    self-deleted. double post

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  8. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I'm afraid that's a little unclear. Notes played one at a time are an arpeggio only if they outline a chord. And notes played all at once are triads only when they form a chord built on thirds.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    You're right, but he only wanted to know what the difference between them.

10. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    "Triad" is a very broad term. It implies that the music somehow, in some way, communicates a major/minor/augmented/diminished chord... usually either all instruments play one of those notes simultaneously, or the notes are outlined in some fashion.

Arpeggios simply outline the notes of triads. Of course, arpeggios can outline 7th chords, etc., as well.