Difference in a Yamaha and Reynolds Medalist student trumpets?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by KMRoark, Apr 27, 2011.

1. KMRoark

KMRoark New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    I have been playing a Yamaha Student trumpet for about a year and just recently bought a Reynolds Medalist from shopgoodwill.com. I would like to know if there is a big difference between them so I could use one at home and one at school.

The Yamaha is an older trumpet and the Medalist is I think a 1975.

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I have a Yamaha 2335. I don't have a Reynolds Medalist but I have an Olds Ambassador (or two) - it is basically the same as a Medalist. I think you will like the Medalist. Of course, every player is different so it is like picking shoes - depends on what fits. Also, any used trumpet will vary depending on condition.

I find the Ambassador to have a richer, fuller sound for me. The Yamaha seems "sterile" or lacking color. But, it may be different for you. Let us know after you have a few hours behind the Medalist.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I have a Yamaha 232, and a 2330, both decent horns. I also have a pair of Reynolds Medalist trumpets and a L.A. made Olds Ambassador. They are all 'somewhat' different. My personal choice is either of my Medalists. In my personal opinion, they are a wee bit superior to the Ambassador. The major difference is in the valve design. The Ambassador has externally sprung valves, while the Medalists have caged sprung valves. In either case the valves of the California made trumpets are a good bit better than the Yamaha horns. General build quality on all of them is excellent. Tone, intonation,and response found with the California made horns is also superior. None of the above is meant to 'diss' the Japanese products. They are very good student grade trumpets that I have had no hesitation using in community concert band rehearsals or concerts. I just like the Reynolds trumpets the best of that lot. None of these can hold a candle to my Conn 2B in any way.

OLDLOU>>

4. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I played the Reynolds very shortly as an intermediate horn b/f I picked up a Strad 37 for $350, didn't like it and trade it for my Besson (Kanstul) MEHA- which was new, and I liked alot better. That said, the Reynolds was a better horn, comparative to student model Yamahas and Bachs. As I remember it was a little bright, though.

5. KMRoark

KMRoark New Friend

Apr 26, 2011

After getting a few hours in with my medalist and comparing it with the Yamaha, I found that I prefer the Yamaha over the Medalist. I have found though, that I can play with my upper embouchure easier with the Medalist but I am used to how the Yamaha plays and I think I need some more time to adjust to the Medalist. The Medalist is heavier and the first valve, though oiled, sticks slightly when ever it wants but the slides move really well. The Yamaha tunes a little easier and is more comfortable to hold.

They have a really similar tone and both play nicely. I will be walking to school next year and don't want to carry my case in the chance that it gets stolen. It is a large case that looks like a suit case. It has room four three trumpets with a Velcro inside that can be moved to fit your needs. I bought the Medalist to keep one at school and one to keep at home. Although I have a third trumpet, it is a junk trumpet. It's a Chinese trumpet that has a poor valve structure. The Medalist is a BIG step up from that one.

Thank you for answering this. I was worried that the Medalist wouldn't meet my standards and would turn out like my junk trumpet.

6. KMRoark

KMRoark New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    I have heard that Conns are very good horns. I am saving up for a Bach Stradivarius and have not made much progress. They are around 1500 to 3500 dollars and I haven't made a dent.

My Medalist that I just bought has pits in the end of the second and third slides and I think that that mite be the reason why it is a little hard to tune.

My teacher has recommended me to get a Bach Stradivarius. I competed in SWIBA (South West Iowa Band Association) and earned first chair. I got to move on to state after the SWIBA concert and am going to be playing in a concert in Des Moines in May.

I have not yet had the chance to play an olds Ambassador and can't wait. People tell me that they are heavy.

Thanks for your input.