differences between C trumpets and Bb trumpets(i have many questions)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pedrotrumpeter, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Pedrotrumpeter

Pedrotrumpeter New Friend

Feb 29, 2012
    Mexico
    hi trumpetmaster people, I bought a trumpet in C, the day I bought it I was testing it in the store before paying, it was the world's best super soft, but now I have to study an audition and feel like I need a lot more air, that does not happen with trumpet in Bb, I asked teachers and tell me it's because I'm not used to, but my question is, that way I can work with it to achieve the control I need, I hope you can help me ... thanks: D

2. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Is your C trumpet a larger bore than your Bb? That's often the case (it is for me). This MIGHT result in the C requiring more air. It seems like it does for me. You'll also find you may need some alternate fingerings for your C to play in tune on some notes, e.g. 2-3 for a mid-staff C and 1-2 for a top staff E. Good luck, and welcome to the boards.

3. Pedrotrumpeter

Feb 29, 2012
    Mexico
    thanks gbshelbymi, no, i use a bach strad 180S ML and the C trumpet is a Selmer parĂ­s C700 ML too, are differences between the horns??? any idea for C trumpet practice??(sorry, ist my first time posting and i confuse the nickname, sorry :()

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  4. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    If you're changing between Bb and C, because the C trumpet is a tone higher you may not be using enough air support to properly hit the desired note. For a written note C in the staff, a Bb trumpet would sound a concert Bb, whereas a C trumpet would sound a concert C. Because you are so used to sounding Bb and not C with this open fingering, you may not be using enough air to actually hit that C on the C trumpet. This applies to all notes you can sound on this trumpet.

If it is not this or the bore issue, I cannot see why you would need more air.

5. Pedrotrumpeter

Feb 29, 2012
    Mexico
    yeah, i have problems with the tune too, when i play the notes comes very flat, thanks mctrumpet98

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Pedrotrumpeter! Don't try to make the C sound like your Bb--let it find its own voice. Usually that means a brighter, more compact sound.

7. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Good advice already but I'll add my 2 cents and recover some already covered ground. MCTRUMPET has pointed out one real problem. Your brain gets used to hearing a certain pitch when you play a certain note. Since the C is a higher pitch your brain unconsciously tries to lower the pitch. You can somewhat combat this by playing the C before you play the B flat on a given day. Practice can overcome the problem, but if you can't learn to play on pitch the horn will never be in tune with itself. Next, VB is right that the C has to find it's own voice, learn to let it sing. It's not going to sound like your B flat so don't try to make it. Next, I have never found a C trumpet that played well with the same mouthpiece I use on my B flat horns. In fact, while I use mouthpieces based on the Schilke 13A4 (deeper cups) on my B flat horns I found that a Curry 5 TF works quite well on my current C. (By the say, the Curry is unplayable on my B flat horns.) Finally, armed with a tuner and all the alternate fingerings you can find, figure out what you have to do to get the horn to play in tune with itself. It can be a real pain in the lips, and virtually impossible if you aren't playing on pitch in the first place, but something you just have to do.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The foregoing IMO is the misery to some between concert keys pitched in C and their other instruments pitched in A, Bb, D, Eb, and F. Again IMO, most of these players are not proficient in transposition. Yes, when they play a D on their Bb instrument they just don't realize they are hearing a C. Sadly, most portable tuners respond in the pitch of a C instrument, perhaps a dilemma in their usage. Yes, we'd say a C instrument is pitched higher than a Bb instrument and that is the very rationale why the Bb instrument must play 2 semi-tones higher to equalize with an instrument pitched in C.

9. Pedrotrumpeter

Feb 29, 2012
    Mexico
    Gracias a todos, lo tomare en cuenta(jejejeje my native languaje, thanks to all)

10. mitchota

mitchota New Friend

Aug 3, 2006
    Maui, HI
    The most important thing when you switch between your Bb and C is that it's not going to sound the same and until you get used to it, the feel is probably going to be rather different too. The thing that helped me acclimate to my C is taking things you already know how to play (I used Arban studies and Clarke technical studies) and worked on playing those things on the C to get used to the change in pitch and sound. Since they were exercises that I was familiar with, the fingerings were not a problem, and because those studies aren't too intense, you can really focus on things like the sound instead, which is important. Another thing that helps is to do long tone stuff like the beginning Schlossberg things on the C and use a tuner to figure out where the really bad notes are and get acclimated to the blow.

As amzi mentioned, your Bb mouthpiece may not work very well on the C. I'm playing pretty much all Curry mouthpieces now, and I use a 1B on my Bb (a Yamaha Xeno with a Ken Larson Leadpipe) and a 1BC on my C (a Bach Large Bore 229 bell with a Ken Larson Leadpipe). The 1B doesn't really get the C to sound that great, and the 1BC makes my Bb into a vacuum cleaner. On their respective instruments, they're great. Remember that the C is shorter in overall length, and that does change up the acoustics and feel, so getting a mouthpiece specifically for C isn't something to rule out.

If you take your time and just be diligent, you'll get used to the C. If you sing the passage, buzz it (if you're into buzzing practice), and play it, it'll start to come together. Use your ear to gauge how things are going. It'll tell you when you're getting it right. Let the instrument speak and don't force out the sound.