differences between C trumpets and Bb trumpets(i have many questions)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pedrotrumpeter, Apr 5, 2013.

1. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Hi Pedrotrumpeter! For me, the C trumpet is brighter and has a more compact sound. I use alternate fingerings in E and E-flat above tuning C. I do my daily routine and warm up on my B-flat and only practice literature (solos, etc) written specifically for C trumpet. the smaller the horn the easier it is to over blow. It took me years to feel comfortable on the C trumpet.....

2. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    The C trumpet is actually a tone lower than the Bb.......if you transpose from C to Bb you transpose up one whole step...thus a tone higher.....

3. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Actually, I am quite sure that it is the other way round. When a C below the staff is written for a Bb instrument, it sounds as a Bb (check it with the piano). However when a C below the staff is written for a C instrument, it sounds a C. Bb is a tone below C. Therefore you transpose up a whole step from Bb to C, NOT C to Bb.

4. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    Actually, I am quite sure that it is the other way round. When a C below the staff is written for a Bb instrument, it sounds as a Bb (check it with the piano). However when a C below the staff is written for a C instrument, it sounds a C. Bb is a tone below C. Therefore you transpose up a whole step from Bb to C, NOT C to Bb.

Now you are talking about tuning.....

the piano is considered a C instrument...thus any song written for the piano to be played by a Bb trumpet needs to be transposed up one step.....not down a step.....

In music notation.....a Bb trumpet is a written a step higher than a C trumpet......

if you are in the key of C for the C trumpet you are in the key of D for the Bb trumpet......
    Key of Eb for the C you are in the key of F for the Bb...etc.....

http://www.wikihow.com/Transpose-Music-From-C-to-B-Flat

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  5. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Sir I believe we are trying to say the same thing. There is a tone difference between C and Bb. Bb is simply a tone lower than C. So on a C trumpet you transpose down a tone to play as a Bb instrument. On a Bb trumpet we transpose up a tone to play as a C instrument.

My work here is done.

@ the OP, best of luck with your C trumpet.

6. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    I thought I would chime in here.

I play with regularity a Bach Bb, a Bach C and an Eastman D. To center up, I play the same set of scales transposed to the key of each instrument (concert C, for example for all horns). I follow with playing each horn in their natural key for the named scales. With the next set of etudes, the same set of transposition and then in the natural key for each horn.

The value is that you are better set to hear the tonal changes, and center the tone for each. There will be times in which you will have to change horns quickly anyway, so this is great training for when that is the case.

If transposition is an issue, note that all of the Clarke technical studies contain all of the keys for the concert pitches for each horn. You just need to read the notes with the right transposition to start.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've yet to play or find any rational personal need for a C trumpet, as I've been sight transposing music pitched in C concert key as long as I've been playing music pitched for a Bb instrument. Not sayin' I wouldn't or couldn't.

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    A "C" played on a C trumpet is one step higher then a "C" played on a Bb trumpet. You have to play a "D" on a Bb trumpet to play a concert "C".

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    IMHO, the Selmer horns usually need more air than their Bach counterparts.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I, on the other hand, love the C trumpet. I can darken it up to sound like a Bb or brighten it up to sound like a D. The response is quicker than the Bb. I use my Bb for jazz most quintet pieces, and teaching. Different strokes for different folks.

One common comment is that the C is more "out of tune" compared to the Bb. Truth is, both are out of tune, but we have been conditioned into thinking the Bb is "in tune." It isn't. One advantage of spending time on the C trumpet is that it can really help our ears, a good thing for all keys of trumpet.