Different lacquer strip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Feb 8, 2016.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well, I know paint stripper or aircraft stripper works but what do you to strip lacquer on a Holton collegiate from 1953 without paint stripper and aircraft stripper?

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'd tend to think that lacquer thinning or even acetone would do it - a 1953 Holton is going to have real nitrocellulose lacquer on it, and I've had good success stripping lacquer with plain acetone.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Easy-Off in the blue can will work.

4. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    really really hot water. no, seriously.

5. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Go to the car wash when nobody is around.....

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Pour boiling water over it, if this does not work then a more aggressive stripper must be used, Selley's or similar Methyl Chloride based paint stripper or spray on oven cleaner available at supermarket. Wash well after use with hot water and be careful, use outside and do not get either on skin.

Regards, Stuart.

7. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Should get a oven cleaner

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I third the Boiling water. It comes off like a sheet of cellophane. Make sure you have a good sized bucket, and the horn will be very hot, so take care.

A lot of those Methylene Chrloride/ DCM products are good, but quite a number of people have died using it. I would not recommend it, even with precautions. There is usually a wax added to the mix as well, to trap the solvent in, and force it into the substrate - a good stripper. Seriously, stick to oven cleaner, and follow the directions.

I have never had to use anything other than boiling water to remove lacquer. Take care to take the valves out, and you do not want to distort the horn, so be careful how you handle it when it is being covered with boiling water. It took me 4 or 5 goes with boiling water to remove it.

9. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Boiling water and finish off with oven cleaner.

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Other way around, start with Oven cleaner and finish with boiling water, actually boiling water first, if does not work then oven cleaner and finish with boiling water, after which several washes with cooler water, rub down with a cloth moistened with white vinegar and wash again, dry.

When all the old lacquer is removed you can start polishing.

Regards, Stuart.