Different Styles Of Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Apr 29, 2012.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I wouldn't consider those different styles of music as much as different types of ensembles. I think of style as swing, bossa nova, rock, jazz, blues, tango, march, waltz, rumba, samba, mando pop, etc. Yes Brazil has a national anthem, and guess what its a samba, and I am sure they play it in all the different ensembles. Likewise if you are in ensembles such as Orchestra, Big Band, Concert Band, you could end up playing various different styles of music. That being said of course certain styles aren't as amenable to certain ensembles, though there are definitely arrangements for all of those ensembles that overlap.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Although I'm not happy with a few genres of music, and I may have to rehearse these "unhappy" ones more, I would still consider it a challenge to play them. I might even back-up RAP if the money was right. You just won't find me fighting a crowd to buy any RAP CDs.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I think that sometimes we use words like style of music in broad context and sometimes we are more norrow in our use. Both are correct. There are styles within styles and genres within genres.As far as swiching between styles/genres I know that the more you are immersed in the style the easier it is to go to it. I play a lot of different styles/genres. But I've done my homework. And I like the quick switch. It's a real test of my music skills.

4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I still have lots of homework to do. It's kind of like I am musically in grammar school.

5. Doug1951

Doug1951 New Friend

Dec 23, 2011
    North Carolina
    Your last comment here reflects your realistic assessment of where you are........(music grammar school is a very largeeeeee school)......much larger than most of us would like to admit....
    But when we do admit it ....as you have done here........and we become comfortable with where we are in the great scheme of things........its much easier to roll up the sleeves and go to work and enjoy it as well..

Some of the best musicians I have ever played with or listened to will embrace being good......but only having just begun as well.........for those who love it, its a very long, hard, easy, wonderful journey that lasts forever.......good luck on yours!!!........appears you are on the right track.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think it is so neat to play a particular tune in different styles. I have a version of "Jesus is All the World to Me" that would do Miles Davis proud. Sounds nothing like the version you would hear in church.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    This is something that doesn't get discussed much. As a pro I've found that learning how to play happened long ago. I spent many more years learning how to perform all the different styles of music that I had to to be versatile and authentic. This was the best part of playing. Listening, researching, and playing different styles. I've even studied different styles of vibrato to use when I play.

To be able to play and know the differnce between Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Mahler, Debussy, Copland, Traditional Jazz, Be Bop, Modal jazz, Modern Jazz, Rock, Pop, Broadway Musicals, the list goes on.