Difficult and Fun Songs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, Oct 20, 2007.

1. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Me and a friend want to learn a song together, but here the thing. He originally wanted to do Carnival of Venice, but my technique isnt near his even though my emotion, style and sound are some what more unique and advance than his (i am working on my toungings though thats really the only thing hes better at). We are both level 6s (well he did a level 5 I did the level 6, but he is good enough to do it) and we are looking for a challenging piece not to hard (meaning easier than Carnival). Thanks in advance.

P.S I know im gonna get yelled at here, but is the Haydn a good choice? It seems about as difficult as the Arutunian if not harder. I am thinking it might be to intense.

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    "Cousins" is a duet for Bone and Cornet. Mabye there's a 2 trumpet version out there. Tasty, and fun for players and audience.

Nothing like the concertos you mentioned.

Ooops. Maybe that's a bad thing.

<slinks away>

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Amsden duet book is just what you need! A little more classical in nature would be the Sachse duets. About the level you are looking for.

I consider the Haydn musically MUCH more challenging than the Arutjunian. technically they may be similar.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I love the amsden book. It is the book that taught me how to read music. My teacher would play a duet with me at the beginning and end of every lesson. If I made a mistake, I wouldn't be allowed to go to the next duet until I played it perfect (or very close). He had a graph for all of his students to see where they were. Even now, years after my last regular lesson, I come back to his house and we start off where we left it last. Of course now my reading abilities have skyrocketed and at most the duets take two tries. Duets are the most fun I can have playing. Nothing teaches you as good as playing duets with a great player.

5. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Cool. A concerto would be to intense. I wouldntmind relearning the Arutunian and memorizing it, because i never fully mastered it last time.

6. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    COusins look good. My priorities have changed though. I am learnign a bebop duet with the other kid in tri-m and were gonna do that for our Tri-M thing. then we have to learn a couple of other duets for our repertoire so maybe cousins?