Difficult concert, advise needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, Jan 22, 2013.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Our next concert in the Metro Band has a circus theme, which means never-ending circus marches, pieces a hundred years old where you never take the horn off your face. Other than the obvious (laying out, backing off), any ideas on surviving until the end?

I know that being very solid on the material helps, so my practice time for the next two months is music and not fundamentals.

I might not be worrying so much if they hadn't decided I can handle it and gave me a first or solo cornet part for 2/3 of these pieces. :-)

Tom

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Run throughs. Play straight through the music as much as possible. No breaks, no nothing, just play it like you would for the concert. Try to do that EVERY NIGHT, or at least most nights, and if possible, more than once.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Pace yourself (don't shoot the wad on the first few numbers) and remember to play with good breath support from the very beginning of the concert.

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    One thing that works quite nicely and helps feature woodwind sections on some marches is for trumpets to lay out during trio sections and/or first time last strain. Trumpets don't always need to double woodwinds, and it can add some textural interest to the piece. This works great on most Sousa marches. Have a talk with your conductor and see if this might be an option for you, and that will give you a chance to get your horn of your face a little during the show.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Tom, Pray your chromatics are in your "pocket" if you are to play Fucik's Entry Of The Gladiators aka "The Clowns' Entry Song". Still, if I can still play it, you should be able to also.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Our next brass band concert is titled "March Madness", and other than our NABBA test pieces, will be all marches. Not only do the cornets get to play the cornet parts, but in many of the arrangements, we get to fill in the woodwind parts, too. A fun time was had by all.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Play everything on C trumpet--you'll be so busy transposing that you won't have time to even think about getting tired.

8. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Apparently there was a time when a lot of famous players developed their chops playing in circus'. The one I can remember hearing about was
    Harry James. Among my friends it was always one of those playing opportunities that we wished was still around, but had disappeared before our birth...

bigtiny

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Dale, I don't see a picc among your instruments to play the C piccolo solo part near the end of the Stars and Stripes, Forever!. It's actually reprised, but in USMC's rendition the reprise is obliterated with a crescendo of basses and drums.

When the program is set for the marches you'll play, I'd like a listing.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tom,

the secret is in body use. If you can keep the body tension down, you use your muscles in a more intelligent way. When we stop "hitting" or "conquering" the notes, we have a concept that allows for pacing ourselves. I would practice a LOT more - at half volume. Just like with lifting weights, lighter weights and more repetitions increases endurance - training with maximum weight is designed for disciplines with very short impact.

I also would not use your "big" Buescher.......... (love that horn!)