Difficult concert, advise needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, Jan 22, 2013.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Good point! This is just the occasion to use the tighter Custom Built that plays itself! Though I really really want to play the newly-restored silver Lightweight 400. You will love it too. :-)

Tom

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Will do, Ed. I believe the piccolo part is scored for the Eb cornet in our arrangement, but it is usually played by our 1st trombone player (yes, he's that good).

The purist in me says that you (and the other section members) should be playing the concert on cornets, but that would just compound the problem...;-)

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Dale, I completely agree with you. I would have loved to play cornet parts on my former 400 cornet (buyer stoled it!). But, alas, not to be. We play all of the cornet parts on trumpet. Therefore, instead of dumping a couple thousand dollars into restoring cornets I wouldn't have the chance to use, I sold them all.

Tom

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tom,

Range tends to be the killer. Not necessarily extreme high range, but when note hang just above the staff for awhile, fatigue sets it. Give me a perspective as to if there is much time above the staff. Otherwise my best advice is to play relaxed, don't overblow, and message you lips, upper and lower between songs.

5. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    If you crack a note, glare sideways at the guy next to you. When you get tired, accidentally drop the music so you can take a quick break.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While at one time I could push a euphonium up in the sky, somehow I don't think T-bones, baris, or euphs have the lilt that Sousa intended, remembering that he was a master violinist as would have been a piece of cake to play that solo part on. I did it on my Schilke P5-4, coincidentally without "sticks" (drums or conductor's baton) in precisely the same track time of USMC's vis 3 minutes and 38 seconds. The joke being I've Sousa tempo in my head and the Docs haven't got a med to get rid of it. Two of my favs are Colonel Bogey and Under The Double Eagle. Sometimes on my therapeudic walks I whistle Colonel Bogey ala Bridge On The River Kwai, but any march now helps me keep a pace.

7. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Concert teaser for Ed...

[​IMG]

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    A much older friend of mine who played lead with BB circus and the Ice Follies said to be sure to relax you embrasure as soon as you can and don't reset until one or two beats before the next entrance. He was watching me play and spotted I tended to hold my embrasure when there was less that 2 measures of rests. Grab every second possible. I can't think of anything more demanding than circus music. On and on and on....

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yeah, it does!. Only two, Berlioz and Respighi are not in my repertoire. Kenneth J. Alford's real name was Frederick Joseph Ricketts aka UK's "March King". Henry Fillmore also published under many psuedonyms. Bizet's Gypsy Dance is a fav and a "wuffer & huffer' (defined only as exhaustion) in my rendition on the euphonium part. I've been scrounging for more of Fucik's sheet music, other than Entry of the Gladiators but haven't been too successful.

10. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Hey Tom, sorry for hijacking your thread. I'll leave it alone after I've satisfied Ed's curiosity...:oops:

Ed, after reading through these over the last two rehearsals, here is the preliminary list of marches we'll be choosing from, but we obviously won't play all of them in the concert:

Marche Slave - Tchaikovsky
    Sempre Fidelis - Sousa
    Florentiner - Fucik
    Army of the Nile - Alford
    Marchissimo - Sparke
    Under the Double Eagle - Wagner
    March (from Pines of Rome) - Respighi
    Attila Quick Step - Verdi/Grafulla
    Colonel Bogey - Alford
    March to the Scaffold - Berlioz
    March of the Toreadors - Bizet
    National Emblem - Bagley