difficult to get rid of my Holton

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Nov 29, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I've been trying to cull my collection of trumpets but I'm having a hard time parting with my 1963 Holton Collegiate. I know this is considered a "student" trumpet but when I play it against my Conn Victor 22B or Noblet (two of my better horns) it definately competes. Am I missing something here?..........crow

2. cabin1

cabin1 New Friend

Nov 26, 2007
    Every horn has its own sound i almost sold my old holton student horn; sure glad i didn't

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Crow,
    you are not missing anything. These instruments have "personality"! Just because it was deemed a "student" horn, does not mean that no TLC went into building it.
    Start with the Bundy...............

4. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    rowuk, the bundy's gone thanks to you, and I don't miss it.........crow

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Good for you, Crow. I have 53 Collegiate cornet and a 61 Roth I like and are in VG condition and purchased for a total about $50 ea. and definitley have their own personalities I really like, in comparison with the trumpet, after not playing cornets for many years, like between 1960 and 2005.:-)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Crow,
    if it makes you feel better, I had a gig yesterday and played my 1911 Holton long cornet. I would not give it up for ANYTHING.

7. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    All right! My instincts and appreciation for my Holton were well founded. Thanks to all........crow

8. Cotton

Cotton New Friend

Feb 14, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I've got a 49 Collegiate in excellent condition with about 80% of the finish left. Plays as well as any horn costing much more. It definitely has it's own personality. I'll keep it for a long time.

9. cabin1

cabin1 New Friend

Nov 26, 2007
    wow man good talkin good word Bundy aint too bad either mo fo getzen with a shit load of armor has a sound i know you guys dont know me but i sit in with a few bands un announced i need to learn some basic diatonic scales what bookky should i buy? help me brudder joe

10. cabin1

cabin1 New Friend

Nov 26, 2007
    mamma got a sueeeze bx