Digital Recorder

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Mar 9, 2012.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I have posted in the past about recording my playing and using it as a tool to pick up on weaknesses. Today I purchased a Zoom Q3 digital recorder. I recorded me playing along with a a track for Chameleon. I also recorded me playing the National Anthem and parts of Star Wars medley outdoors. Hearing my sound through a quality recorder for the first time was pretty cool. My sound on the other side of the bell is much cleaner and prettier than I perceive when playing. However, I noticed huge areas that need improvement from the play along with the Chameleon track. I tend to rush more than I thought. I also need to work more on style and consistency of attacks.

Before I was always left wondering about what I really sound like due to the poor quality of recorder I was using. Now I know the sound is good. It is what I hear in my head when I think of what a trumpet should sound like. It still needs improvement but I am much further along that road than I previously thought.

I suggest that everyone get a quality sound recording device and use it as a tool for practice. I am looking forward to using it to review rehearsals and getting a good recording of a live performance of The National Anthem at my next sporting event. The cell phones really leave a lot to be desired when it comes to sound quality.

Once I get a few recordings of me putting my best foot forward I will post on here.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    XJB, I got one in the mail today (well I haven't un-boxed it yet) but that is what I ordered --- mine is not the Hi-def video, but regular vid ---BUT I just got the call--- and have to go to work sanding the roads -- won't get a chance to use it tonight
    later,

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I went to the local Sam Ash store and picked one up.Mine is not the HD version either. The online guys wouldn't price match and let me use my Sam Ash card so went to the store and made the purchase.

I think that you will really enjoy yours.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hay, I posted some pics of my refurbished Recording through photobucket. Would't that be considered a digital Recording?

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Yes. How bout the sound?

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I do have a great recording with my Recording on a Minor Blues, actually the song is called "Minor Blues". If anyone can advise how I can post an mp3 on TM, I'll put it up for all to hear. Also got tune called "Jacktime" I'd love to post... Kinda Monkish!

7. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    Gary, that was horrible. Well done!

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

+1 ! There's no more literal reality check than a high quality recording. Guaranteed to improve your playing in some manner if you can hear what it really sounds like out front in different settings. The little Zoom units are really good for this and extremely easy to use.

Turtle

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Take the MP3 that you sent me, put it on sound cloud(.com). The first 2 hours are free. I like the recording, you should post it!

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    soundcloud.com is pretty good and easy .... you can also usw windows movie maker. Use the mp3 as audio and put pictures to go along with it. Very easy,
    If you need any help pm me Gary