Digital Recorder

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Mar 9, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hay, I resemble that statement and represent that remark!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OK... Here is my FIRST attempt to post a digital recording of my Recording. This was when I was using the Schilke 14a4a, which gave my Recording its brightest, brassy sound. IF it is successful, you will be listening to a recording from our CD: Bass Notes the Heart Beat of Jazz. This song was written by our sax player Jack Novotny and is called "Jacktime".

04 - Jacktime by Doctor Jazz on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    So true Turtle. That is why I keep both a Sony reel to reel and AKai reel to reel in my practice room.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I realize on the above link, you can also get to "Minor Blues" in the lower left hand side of the link. That tune was written by Eddie Brookshire, and again it has me playing on the Recording, but this time using my 1970's vintage Jettone Studio B mouthpiece. That tune IS only using 2 horns (a sax and trumpet) no overdubs, and the fullness of the tune is all in the arranging. I do most of the arranging for the band and arranged the harmonies to cover the higher range characteristics of the trumpet and used the lower range characteristics of a tenor sax to give it a fuller sound.

See if you sense that there may more than two horns playing with this arranging style. Give it a try in any arrangments you may want to use with your groups and see if this gives similar results.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hey, very very nice sound. Realizing I'm listening on an I pad, to me your sound was bright. Didn't feel it even approached the "dark" sound that many claim is characteristic of a Recording. What is your take on it.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree, it is excessively bright, which on these songs worked well to cut through the high intensity of the rhythm section. I attribute this to the Schilke 14a4a mouthpiece I used druing this recording. I have since switched to my Callet mouthpiece on the Recording which does darken the tone.

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Gary,

Zoom makes 4 models. I want one, but I'm not keen on spending extra for bells and whistles. I'll be using it for recording practice sessions.

Which Zoom will get me what I want without spending extra on the newest model?

Thanks,

Richard

P.S. I also use my computer to record currently. In your opinion, is there anything to be gained with a Zoom or lost by not getting one and sticking with the computer exclusively?

8. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    I didn't see your post, Richard, so I'm editing to answer your question.

The great thing about the Q3 is, it has the same studio quality recording capabilities and X-Y microphone configuration as the Zoom H2 Handy Recorder and it has video too (non-HD but acceptable quality) for far less than an H2 with sound only.

When the new model Zoom Q3 HD came out the price of the Q3 non-HD really dropped. I picked up a new Q3 non-HD at B&H Photo for only $84.99 in January. But I just checked the price again before posting this and the price has jumped back up to $118.99! I'm glad I bought mine when I did, before the law of supply and demand kicked in.

So you can get the same sound quality as the H2 Handy Recorder for far less with a Q3 non-HD and you don't have to use the video unless you want to. Essentially, you're getting an H2 with optional video for less than an H2. And the sound quality is FAR superior to computer recording. The Q3 comes with a 2GB SD card and you can increase storage up to 32GB by purchasing a larger SD card. It also comes with Handy Share software that's easy to use and opens when you plug in your Q3 with the integral USB cable, or you can just take the SD card out and plug it right into your computer to download your recordings to the Handy Share Media folder where you can trim and edit your recordings.

A word of advice, if you buy a Q3 be sure to get the power adapter because it really eats up batteries fast.

I posted three practice recordings in a thread I started about my Holton M601 Mellophonium a couple of months ago when I bought my Q3. You can check out the sound quality of the Q3 recorder (regardless of the quality of my playing ;) at the Chirbit links below:

Chirbit - I Fall In Love Too Easily - bobd0 - share audio easily
    Chirbit - Laura - bobd0 - share audio easily
    Chirbit - The End Of A Love Affair - bobd0 - share audio easily

It's a great tool for hearing yourself accurately and, hopefully, for improving what you hear!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes, I concur on the Q3 -- and if anyone has earbuds ---you can plug them in the output and you will notice the GOOD sound that the Q3 records (the speaker on the Q3 is NOT that good). I got my Q3 (non HD) , and the accessories package with the AC adapter, S+H, for $170 ish from Amazon.com AT THE MOMENT -- I can't agree with it's easy to download - YET -- as I have Microsoft on my PC, and it tells me to download Apple Quick time --- but I am sure I will have it figured out in a week or so. For now, I walked away from the downloading, until I C-A-L-M down a bit -----------YEAH, what is that stupid commercial about insurance -- "so easy a caveman can do it" -- Hey where is that caveman when you need him??? ROFL ROFL ROFL.

10. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012