Digital Recorder

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Mar 9, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my personal opinion is to spend the extra for the accessory package, and it comes with a tripod --- the zoom is pretty thin, and might not stand by itself all the time -- depends on your location -- but definitely the little tripod, makes it stable, and you have enough adjustment for uneven surfaces, or to "tweak" it a bit (move the camera from where ever you can set it , instead of trying to put books under it and such to line it up) --

codyb226 likes this.
  2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Richard,

You may want to look at the Zoom 2n (that I bought recently), it's great. Roughly $200, it can record in stereo and surround, when you use more than 2 mics. It has 5 built in and the recording quality is excellent. It stands up by itself easily so it can be set on a desk or table or counter top .... and it is literally one button recording. Point, adjust gain, record. 24-bit, 96KHz is a higher setting for recording than my Tascam 8-track does, but you can also dial it down to MP3 recording, which gives you literally hours of recording time. Also, a great point, the batteries (2 AAs) last for over 20 hours. No need to plug it in ever, but you can. GREAT units!

Turtle

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  3. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    Hey KT, if you're having trouble downloading with the USB try removing the SD card and plugging it directly into your computer. I have no problem with that set up and Windows Media Player will work with the downloaded file. Just make sure to save the file into the Handy Share Media folder if you intend to edit with that software. The software only "sees" files stored in its own media folder.

Yes Richard, that's the lowest current price I could find for a new Q3.

The USB cable is integrated right into the bottom of the Q3. And the AC adapter is a must!

The Q3 has three little plastic feet on the bottom and it will stand up on its own on a flat surface. I've had no problem standing it on its own but I imagine it's much more stable with a tripod. But the word is that you have to be very gentle with the tripods that come with the accessory pack. So, if you want a tripod you might be better off going to a camera store to find a sturdier one.

4. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    I've read the Q3 has the same recording capabilities as the H2n with non-HD video added. You can set the Q3 to record audio only with an auto setting for the best results. In audio only mode using mp3 compression the battery life is good. I suggest the AC adapter for those times when you want to record audio/video. Then it really eats up batteries and the included 2GB card only holds about 45 minutes of audio/video versus about 2 1/2 hours of audio only at the highest quality setting and way more at lower mp3 settings. But as I mentioned earlier, the Q3 will accept up to a 32GB SD card. I suggest getting at least a Class 6 SD card for video recording.

I forgot to add, at $118.88 versus around $200 for the H2n, and with the same audio recording capabilities and video to boot, the Q3 is a bargain. At $84.99, the price I paid for a Q3 just this past January, I guess it was a steal! I should have bought two! :-)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Thanks, I seem to have an outdated notebook with only 512MB of RAM -- and apparently I need like 3 times that amount. I have it downloaded to youtube, but it says it is "processing", but I haven't seen any progress in the last hour. I don't seem to have a SD card slot on the computer -- got a CD, and actually a 3 1/2 inch floppy port --- OK, my computer is about 6 years old --- so that seems to be the "weak" link at the moment. I will have to try my Dad's computer.
    but thanks.

by the way if it ever works -- it should end up here, but at the moment it doesn't appear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDgYySI2Tb4