Dilemma Regarding My Legit Mouthpiece Situation

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by trickg, Jun 29, 2004.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    As the title of this thread suggests, I have a dilemma regarding my current legit mouthpiece situation.

Here's my situation:

At the beginning of the month of August, I'm scheduled to perform in a church where I need to play some Baroque and other "legit" music. I currently have 2 mouthpieces that I can use to play legit. Becuase I haven't done much legit playing in a couple of years, I haven't really botherd too much with just which mouthpiece to use. It just wasn't that important because I wasn't doing that kind of playing.

Anyway, they are:

Bach 5C
    Scott Holbert Custom Mouthpiece

The Scott Holbert custom mouthpiece was created for me with the intention of giving me an all around mouthpiece - something that I could play 4th book in the big band, yet also use as a lead piece. It functions for the former much better than for the latter. I have good endurance on the mouthpiece, but it's a bit big to use for lead and the backbore is pretty open - comparable to the backbore on a 7C. This mouthpiece plays and feels pretty good, but it's sound could be fuller, and it's just slightly diffuse in a legit setting- something that I would like to avoid. But all things considered, it was great to use for the big band because I had to have a sound that was full enough, yet cut just slightly to both support the lead and be heard outside of the section. It has a full sound that is open and brassy. (not so smooth)

The best sounding of the two is by far the Bach 5C. It has a very clear, full, smooth, compact sound that in my mind is just about ideal for the music that I am going to be playing. (Vivalid Concerto for two trumpets, and maybe a couple of other Baroque tunes or hymns and descants.) On my horn, it just has that cutting brilliance without being too bright. In fact, it's a pretty dark sound, but it's brilliant and cutting at the same time. Dare I say it is the quintesential "Bach" sound? Does that sound strange? You might be asking yourself "Ok, so it sounds great, what's the problem?"

The problem with this 5C mouthpiece is it's playability. I'm using this mouthpiece not because I went out and bought it, but because it is just one of those mouthpieces that you acquire along the way, and I don't have anything better. Anyway, for my chops and teeth, I think that the 5C is just slightly too narrow or something, and although it sounds like the way I like it to sound, I have some accuracy issues while using it. Call it slotting or whatever, but if I'm not dead on in the center of the note with this mouthpiece, I can totally miss the partial I am aiming for, resulting in some pretty ugly spleeahs or just total misses to a different partial in what would otherwise be a nice line of music.

So I'm torn. Do I use the 5C and hope that I have the time in my schedule to practice enough to get this mouthpiece under control, do I use the Holbert mouthpiece that I know will work, but doesn't really have the sound I'm seeking for this task, or do I punt and purchase another mouthpiece in the hopes that I will find something that will sound like the 5C, yet won't have the accuracy issues? In the past, I have found that a Bach 2 1/2C is a pretty good fit for me, but it's been long enough since I have played one that I don't really know how I sound with it. I have also played on a 1 1/2C and for me, that has a very big sound - full, but not nearly as smooth or brilliant as what I'm getting on the 5C.

HELP!!!!!!

ALL comments and suggestions will be read seriously and with great interest.

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    what kind of selection does your local music store have for mouthpieces? are you close to some place that would have alot to choose from? and are you doing all of this on B flat?

The way you describe Bach mouthpieces is very similar to how I would describe them, good sound but I miss a lot notes on them. I find that Laskey mouthpieces help me with this and I have a much less chance of spleeaahhs or cracks with Laskey. I would say either email Scott or try to find a local dealer and see if they work for you.

www.laskey.com/

Hope this helps.

3. John Miconi

John Miconi Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2003
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Mpc dilemma

Patrick,

If you are more consistant with the Holbert mpc I would stick with it, but you may want to visit Scott and try different backbores. Maybe that will fine tune your set up. Some other alternatives would be to contact Brian Scriver to get some opinions on maybe the 3 series GR's or the 66 series mpcs, but it would be cheaper to visit Scottie :idea: , and try different backbores (since he is local for us).

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    John, I could go over to Scotts, but if I'm going to make a change, I want to do it pretty soon. I think that the sound issue that I am having with the Holbert piece has more to do with the cup than with the backbore, but I could be mistaken. I have been many times in the past.

I'm not sure just what the deal is with the 5C. Maybe it's the rim. Maybe it's the bite. Maybe, it just doesn't seat right in the receiver. Like I said, it's got a great sound, but it just isn't happening for accuracy. All I know is that I want to bring my best to the table on that upcoming performace. It's too bad my accuracy is crummy with the 5C.

Another dilemma I have regarding this mouthpiece issue is time. I don't have a lot of time to go around fiddling with and trying different mouthpieces and setups. I wish that I did, but I don't.

Maybe I'll have Craig bring some mouthpieces for me to try at the next gig. That way I can try them out, and give them back if they don't work out.

5. John Miconi

John Miconi Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2003
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Mpc dilemma

Patrick, I really think it's a backbore issue with the Holbert piece. The cup and that backbore just aren't a match, there must be a balance between them. I suggest you try a few backbores out until you find the one that has that "sweet spot". Just remember, this is coming from someone that is always on a mpc safari!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    When I originally was fitted for this mouthpiece, I was looking for more of a lead piece than a legit piece, and it works pretty well in that capacity, but I do think that the cup is a bit shallow. It could be a backbore issue though, although I think that one of the things that is helping my sound on the 5C is the rim and the bite, which is totally different on Scotty's mouthpiece.

I'll have to try to nail him down for a time when I can go over and see what he's got and if he can help me.

7. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    I play on a mouthpiece that was designed by Shilke. It is a custom piece, designed for Texas Tech and ENMU. It is a great piece, but you have to order it from Shilke, your local music store will most likely stare at you blankly if you ask for it. It is a Shilke 1ch. I am not sure on the specs, but I have personaly used it for a couple years and love it for legit work.

Jon

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I have always heard that the CH rim was made for Herseth by Scott Laskey when he worked at Schilke and that rim is the main rim used on Laskey's own line of mpcs.

9. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Yeah, your right. Sorry, I meant to be more clear. The mouthpiece wasn't designed specifficaly for those two Trumpet Studios. It is mainly bought by those two Studios. Will Streider and John Kennedy stand by them as a great piece, That is why we all use them...If any of that makes sense. I don't know, I don't make any sense half the time. Anyway, It's a good mpc.

10. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007