Dillon's Music -- and my first time playing a Monette

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Robert Rowe, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Yesterday, I stopped in Dillon's Music (Woodbridge, NJ), to have the repair tech take a look at a vintage Martin Committee with a few "issues" that I brought with me.

As I had a bit of time, I went about trying out some of the fine array of horns this wonderous little store has in stock. I spotted a matte-gold Monette "C" trumpet, to begin the "play-'n-try" session. Life as I once knew it will never be the same. I have to say that a Monette is not for everyone (especially those of ordinary means, such as myself). It has very unique playing characteristics and a sound unlike all others. A year-or-so ago, I doubt if I could have appreciated the superlative qualities of this horn; but, I have worked very hard at controlling my sound, which I seem to only obtain on the Committee. Don't get me wrong -- I will never part with my beloved '46 Committee ... but, I believe I actually sounded better than I can ever remember on the Monette.

Special thanks to the fine and friendly (and v knowledgeable!) staff at Dillon's Music. I urge all who can get there, to do so. You will not regret it.

Regards,
    Robert Rowe

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    A week ago I made a post on the other site called "Why buy a Monette?" You just answered my question in a very eloquent manner. I wish I had the money to buy that Monette for you. You sound like you really loved it.

3. Robert Rowe

Dec 24, 2004
    Thanks, bandman, for the kind thoughts and words.

As I have matured in life, I have come to an acceptance of what is for me. My values and spirituality have helped my understanding of patience and appreciation of the blessings I have.

To quote one that is hardly a prophet or soothsayer, Mr. Mick Jagger :

"...You can't always get what you want ... but, you just might
    find you get what you need ....".

Regards,
    Robert Rowe

P.S. -- I have you in my prayers as you face the journey before you.

4. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    i didnt realize you were in jersey, RR

you should come to the MF show

in anycase, i guess i will make a trip to Dillons this week

5. Robert Rowe

Dec 24, 2004
    Hi, Emily.

I presently live in Delaware (...aarghh...), and up until recently, I was out on the Eastern end of Long Island ("The Hamptons"). I travel through NJ frequently, as I still have business (& former girl-friends, relatives, etc.) on L.I. I was born in Kearny, NJ, and have relatives through-out the state. If you ever need work done on your horn, I can probably refer you to a good repair technician in NJ ... I know some good ones.

Regards,
    Robert Rowe

6. Robert Rowe

Dec 24, 2004
    Hello, again, Emily --

Forgot to ask in just previous post -- the MF show ... what, where, when?
    Saw Wynton Marsalis a couple weeks ago ... Maynard would be a nice follow-up.

Regards,
    Robert Rowe

7. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    Robert,

Jp Stevens High School on Grove Ave in Edison,

May 4th

i think it starts at 7

if you want, contact me via email and i will see abt getting you a ticket to wait at the door

let me know

Emily