Directing the air stream

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wnaus, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I don`t play a Monette mouthpiece so I can`t say what is right or wrong about play them , but on other mouthpieces I have found that depending on whether you are an up or downstream player it helps to direct the air at its corresponding rim so the air hits the throat and then into the horn faster than trying to fill the entire cup first for the upper register.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wayne,
    we all make our own observations and derive our conclusions.

My reference is to separating the movement of air (exhaling - single direction= DC direct current) and creating sound (standing wave in the horn=AC alternating current).

The movement of air (breathing) only gets the lips vibrating, the resonance of the horn helps keep them vibrating. The amount of air that we try to move causes a pressure build up in the cup, regardless of the size of the throat. Pointing our air at the throat cannot change this fact. We are still trying to move more air than the mouthpiece can pass. We could compare this effect to a 5 gallon bucket with a hole in the bottom. we can pour as much water as we want into the bucket anywhere that we want. Once the water is being filled faster than the hole lets it pass the target for pouring is insignificant. Try pouring water into a mouthpiece very slowly so that it does not back up and overflow. See if it makes a difference where you pour it.

The pressure in the cup supports our lips from the outside partially relieving the muscles of the need to do so. A shallow cup generally provides an even higher pressure aiding the compression of the lip tissue. This is often assumed to mean that shallower mouthpieces offer better high range. For some players this is true, for others the DC back pressure and lip tension are still not enough to keep the chops from bottoming out.

The reason that changing the focus of your air direction seems to make a difference has NOTHING to do with the mouthpiece or throat. It can have something to do with how much air hits which lip, or a change in the actual geometry of the embouchure. If the visualization with pointing the air helps you and your students, great. It just cannot be backed up by the physics of the playing cycle. I prefer to find out the real reason and not propogate myths.

Your system can be very successful, I just maintain and have offered proof that it is for other reasons.

Although credits are generally interesting, great players often have little knowledge of fluid dynamics, transmission of sound or the other factors that make a big technical difference. They are successful because they worked hard with what they had/have - not because they have tried everything out there. A basic understanding of impedance and reactive components is necessary to support any claim.

The playing cycle is very complex. That is why I also consider most embouchure discussions to involve more fiction than fact. The interaction of our body with the hardware takes place at so many levels. Simplifications generally lead to bad choices.

3. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Quote # 23 Don't talk to legit players -

by - Scott Englebright

4. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Alternating current? Whoa, what rock have I been living under? TRUMPETS ARE ELECTRONIC NOW?!?! SWEET!!!!! ROFL

5. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    rowuk, so before I communicate with you again, I will ask you one more time, where can I hear your recordings,who have you recorded and toured with? Talk is cheap and until you can back up what you're claiming I personally cannot respect or respond to any of it.
    WN

6. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Wayne,

I've been using the "Direct Air" technique all day now, I'm on my 4th hour of playing and still feel fresh and have my entire range !!! I've added this as part of my "Form".

Thank you, the talks work, and I listen !!!!

Can't wait for the Sunday Gig !! Woo Hoo !!

Hoghorn

7. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    If it is...I'm there dude! :D
    happy new year,
    -Andrew

8. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    WB Wanna,

Add it to your form, it works !! Good luck with it !!!

Hoghorn

9. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    Not taking either sides here.... this sounds like a way of thinking rather than a concrete technique. doesn't mean it doesn't improve playing (and i plan on trying it next time i practice) but doesn't really sound like real technique.

10. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Well.....I DO have to "Think" about where my air hits the inside of the piece right now, until it becomes subconsious.....And it IS a technical "Change" in form, ie...correcting air flow to be uniform... repeatable........

Whatever works, Huh !!

Hoghorn