Directing the air stream

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wnaus, Dec 29, 2008.

1. joss

joss New Friend

Jan 3, 2009
    Hello. I just now registered as a new user and have been throughly entertained and informed by the discussion going on this site. I too enjoyed the part about AC/DC trumpet playing and the "well, who have you played with?" moment . I was also some what overwelmed/impressed by the detail and precision one can go into about the direction of air stream in the mouth piece (good job we don't play the harmonica or we might have had a fight on our hands).....I joined this site for the sole purpose of getting a few useful hints that would improve my playing, I didn't count on being so entertained at the same time. Thanks to you all and keep up the helpful/debatable/comical/useful debates. x

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    because of an overbite I play with the air hitting the lower part of the cup. never had a problem with it. 4 hour band gigs, 3 hour jazz trio gigs - lot of playing. no problems. For myself it's about developing good playing habits and embochure over the years. then keeping it healthy by maintaining it with a sensible routine.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC

see what you've got yourself into!:-o

4. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Bob, The key is to find what works best for you and stay with it regardless of what anyone else is doing. No two horns, mouthpieces or players are the same and what works for one person may or may not work for another. When I traveled with Maynard in the early 1970's, we all tried his equipment at one time or another and it really only worked for him. Congratulations on your maintenance routine.
    WN

5. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Its been an interesting an unexpected dialogue to say the least!
    WN

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Joss,
    just jump into the pool, the water is fine!

The trumpet can be as geeky, technical or naive as can be. Every post is entertaining to somebody. Fact and fiction are as close together as love and hate.

If nothing else, your playing will get better if you have a steady diet of things that sound good. Don't forget to add easy tunes to your daily routine.

Do not change anything serious when you have a playing gig coming up. The sure-fire improvements generally break something first.