Dirty, Double buzz.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Miyot, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    At this time I'm suffering from dirty notes or a double buzz. I have returned to basics, but this seems to be a particularly persistent problem this time. If I play quite softly my tone is fair and clear of the nasty sound. If I get louder, around MF it returns and is persistent. I am sure I can overcome this but it is taking longer than usual. What is the cause? Tired muscles, poor or stretched lip tone. What? And any info to help recovery. I have been playing softly, doing long tones and slurs and generally takin it easy. I seemed to be recovering, played a rehearsal and seemed to relapse. Any ideas.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    A double buzz occurs when your top and bottom lip vibrate at different rates. are you a come back player? how long have you been playing? How long has this problem lasted? How old are you? what mpc do you play and how long have you played it?

This will help diagnose the problem.

3. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I would take it easy and work with soft long tones, slurs, and lip slurs. I might also work on some flexibility studies. However, you don't say if you have a private teacher. I would find a good one and then do exactly what they tell you to do.

5. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I think mouthpiece buzzing long tones and glissandos might help bring your sound into focus again. Pedal notes are superb for the sound as well. It is very difficult, if not nigh on impossible to double buzz pedal tones. This is because they won't sound unless you have a single, focused air flow through an open aperture.

I can deliberately double buzz to create a multiphonics. I do this by blowing between the harmonics and squeezing my lips together. Maybe your embouchure is too tense? I might be talking nonsense here but i am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong.

Mary Christmas! Who is she?

B.U.M.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    see if you can find a good trumpet teacher who has experience with embochure problems. not all of them do A double buzz usually happens because of a weakness in one of the lips but it sounds like you are playing well for a comeback player back a year and 1/2. your mpc is fine. Range and endurance are the last things to come back on a trumpet. even though you've been back a 1 1/2 years I think you are overplaying your chops your daily routine sounds fine but the long gigs and power playing may be the culprit. you don't need to power play anyway. It just blow your chops out. Sounds like you've been doing this power playing for some time. One of my teachers once told me " you play with your lips and you sit on your butt. Don't treat you lip like your butt. Your lips are reacting to the abuse.