Dirty Growling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Domination3785, May 1, 2015.

1. Domination3785

Domination3785 Pianissimo User

Apr 12, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I have always been a fan of the sound of growls, most notably Wynton Marsalis' growl. Does anyone have any advice as to how I could possibly practice growling, especially in the upper register? For example, are there any growling 'exercises' per say? My growl is currently reasonably dirty, but isn't quite like the sound I would like it to be. Thanks!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Emulate. Based on what you offered, that's the best I can offer. Flutter tongue with or without half-valving and/or a plunger effect.

Oh, and I really like this playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRjItDLnAwc

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Keep at it, Domination3785, it doesn't take much time at all to work it out.

4. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Do a loud hum instead of directly trying to growl. The dissonance is what creates that "dirty" growl.

5. Furcifer

Furcifer Pianissimo User

Jul 26, 2010
    TEXAS
    Indeed, for most *modern* bluesy stuff, the "hum-growl"/distortion is better than a "dog-growl" from the back of the throat - and easier/less disruptive to your playing, once you get used to it. A flutter-tongue in a plunger or a harmon is even dirtier-sounding, but it's a little more dated, so which one you'd use would be related to the time period of the style that you're trying to invoke.