Disappointment.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Original_Username, May 15, 2008.

1. Original_Username

Original_Username Pianissimo User

Mar 5, 2008
    Beijing, China
    Do you ever have times when your anticipating something so much that you can almost feel it? That was my experience when I was about to get my first pro horn. It was beautiful. A Schilke S32 for only $1,600. In my dreams I could already imagine myself with the wonderful instrument in my arms. A few months ago, my parents had said that they would consider buying a professional instrument for me if the price was right.

Well, today I approached them with the offer of buying the Schilke. To my great disappointment, they refused to buy a trumpet. They said that when I'm older and start making my own money, then I can buy my own instrument. :-(

So, I guess I'll be sticking to my Bach TR300, which isn't too bad of a horn in itself. I just wanted the next step. But who knows, a few more years (maybe 12 or so years) when if I get out of a graduate school and start earning my own salary I'll be able to buy that dream trumpet. Anyways, just expressing my disappointment. I don't blame my parents though. They've already supported me this much.

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Kevin, the delay has a huge silver lining! You'll focus on all the things we should be focusing upon, practice, rather than "the horn." If you keep at it, one day, you'll have another horn.

And you'll be a better player then, and in a better position to assess the ones you test.

3. Original_Username

Original_Username Pianissimo User

Mar 5, 2008
    Beijing, China
    Thanks for the advice on the silver lining! Put a better spin on my horn situation. :D

4. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    It feels SO much better to buy your own horn, trust me on that. I saved up for 6 months to get my Bach Strad - and I can say completely that the horn is 100% mine, my own sweat and blood went into buying it. (ok, so you really don't sweat and bleed shelving books, but it sounds cooler that way).

I even paid for half my mouthpiece (it's a Monette - and yes, worth it too) even though it was a Christmas present.

5. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    Agree with Annie - I still have my 1967 Getzen Eterna Severinsen paid for with my paper route money!

Also - make sure you really try out the horn you want to buy. Schilke's are great - but regardless of the brand - want to know that the horn you pay for is really the one you want. Hopefully you live close to a store that will allow you to spend some quality time with the horn before you buy it (even if you just go to the shop every weekend just to try it vs. other horns). Not sure what your opportunities are at the moment (see your profile says you are in Beijing).

Best of luck - and get the most out of that horn you currently have.

6. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Yeah... and a horn is a better investment than a car or computer. One summer, I saved 3600$ for a new 486 33Mhz. Only to throw it out 3 years ago because I didn't want to have to move it when I bought my house. Poor investment! :D

7. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    My Nephew had the TR-300 and it really played well. he later got the TR-200 and it too played well, but not that much better than the 300. For him though it was silver instead of lacquer, this makes all the difference in the world when we're young.
    The others here are totally correct about earning that first pro horn. In my case a used Yamaha from my trumpet teacher, but I still have it 25 years later.

8. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    See if they will work with you. You can easily find a used Strad on ebay for 800 or 900. See if they will go halfway, thats how I got my first nice horn.

9. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    I think it's a good idea to wait also. You might change your mind on what you want etc. You might end up wanting that money for a car down the road.

10. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Hang in there ! Look at the positive side, in 12 or so years, that
    Schilke will be a lot less than $1600. :-)