Disappointment.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Original_Username, May 15, 2008.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    This thread is inspiring me to take out my old student model yamaha and practice on it.

2. Original_Username

Original_Username Pianissimo User

Mar 5, 2008
    Beijing, China
    I'm wondering whether there are any jobs around my place that I can work over the summer so far. Might as well start saving up for that trumpet in the future.

3. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    That's the spirit! I assume you're 16?

4. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I couldn't agree with the folks that have posted more. The horn ( a Schilke S32, ironically) that I bought for myself has meant the world to me. And it is amazing how much better you tend to take care of something you have spent your own money on.

Your parents, in a way, did you a huge favor too. You are definately going to want to play what ever horn your a buying before you actually put any cash down on it. Don't just order a horn out of a catalouge, you have no idea what you are going to be getting. Good luck, and let us know how things go!

5. Original_Username

Mar 5, 2008
    Beijing, China
    Yes, I am. I'll be doing a lot of saving up though! :D But first, I'm probably gonna work on my intonation and tone quality.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Do you think a Holton ST550S, maynard ferguson horn would move you in the right direction? It' not a Schilke, but better than your Bach. Do some web research on it, and we can talk about it if you are interested.

7. Original_Username

Mar 5, 2008
    Beijing, China
    Sorry, but can't say that I'm too interested in the Holton MF horns.

8. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Try getting a car first. That's what I did; my parents got me a car for Christmas, and I got a job within a week. I worked all year up until now, and I now own my first Strad. Working for the horn has made me appreciate it all the more.

BTW, I had a TR300 too before this, and it got me from 7th to 11th grade. I loved that horn, but this one is the best I have ever played.

9. Original_Username

Mar 5, 2008
    Beijing, China
    Thanks for the tip. If I end up needing to save up until college, I'll probably buy the car first. I won't be majoring in music so I guess the priority isn't as high.

10. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    So...I hope you'll keep up your playing in college even though you won't be a music major! It's a lot of money to dish out for a new horn if you decide not to keep playing or not to be a music major...pro horns do not come cheap. You have to pay the money for the quality.

Last edited: May 20, 2008