Disco Sheet Music Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetfart123, Jun 7, 2010.

1. trumpetfart123

trumpetfart123 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi,

I am looking for sheet music for disco music, here is the list of songs n stuff:

1) September - earth wind & fire
    2) Emergency on planet earth - jamiroquai
    3) Get on the floor - michael jackson
    4) Boogie nights - heatwave
    5) Carwash - rose royce
    6) Night fever - beegees
    7) Jive talkin' - beegees
    8) You should be dancing - beegees
    9) Abc - jackson 5
    10) I'm coming out - diana ross
    11) Disco inferno - the trammps
    12) Alright - jamiroquai
    17) i love music - the o'jays
    18) good times - chic
    19) bad girls - donna summer
    20) relight my fire - dan hartman
    21) le freak - chic
    22) cant get enough of your love baby - barry white
    23) got to give it up - marvin gaye
    24) if i cant have you - yvonne elliman
    25) lets groove - earth, wind and fire
    26) dancing queen - abba
    27) could it be magic - donna summer
    28) ladies night - kool and the gang
    29) upside down - diana ross
    31) master blaster (jammin) - stevie wonder
    32) groove is in the heart - deee lite
    33) play that funky music
    34) get down on it - kool and the gang
    35) thats the way i like it
    36) i want you back - jackson 5

Many thanks
    Antony
    [email protected]

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I would look on Amazon, but as a beginning player, I'm wondering, is this this kind of thing where .... a good player can listen to the song and write down the notes?

3. trumpetfart123

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    I did have a look, but it would be very expensive and I'm broke at the moment, I have only been playing trumpet for two years on and off, so I am not at a level where I can hear a piece of music and write it down, I discussed this with my teach, and he told me it takes years, as I have to know my trumpet, and all the notes inside out before I can do this.

I was hoping somebody may have some of this and send it to me, or do swaps etc.

Many thanks for your reply, it is greatly appreciated.
    Antony

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Okay.... First of all, the exercise of learning songs "by ear" is excellent training for your musicianship. There is no better exercise for your ears to become discerning. That being said, it IS slow going at first, and I recognize impatience when I see it. Soo... try plan "B."
    Find a sequencing software program. Anything that will read MIDI files and break them down into separate tracks will probably do. Then look on the web for sequences of the songs you want to learn. Once you have downlloaded the song, view the track that says "trumpet" or "brass" in staff mode. Here are the notes (if it was sequenced correctly) in the key of C. You then need to transpose that track UP 2 semitones for it to read correctly for Bb trumpet. Once it is transposed and verified, print it out and voila! The part is written out.
    Plan B will not offer the potential for growth that Plan A will, but if you're in a hurry there it is. Plus, if the vocalist needs to change the ket it is only a few keystrokes to change it into their key.

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I know people used to pick apart music by taking a tape, and playing a little at a time. You could do with with an MP3 now. Play a little bit, few notes, imitate on your trumpet and that will tell you what notes they are and write 'em down. Or, if it were me, I'd just listen to the songs and play along and memorize 'em. You don't need the notes written down to play a piece of music, just some rehearsal.

6. trumpetfart123

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    I've downloaded some of these songs onto a CD, and my CD player has a rewind pause etc facility, I tried doing this today, and my problem is recongnising the notes, I can just about play high G (two g's higher than middle C) It's a struggle as most of the notes are higher, or about at this level, which leads to lip fatigue, and the speed the players are playing at (fast riffs etc) and makes it more or less impossible at my level anyway, but I will perservere with this.

How are you gettin on with the Standard of Excellence Book 1, my teacher is using this, and I find it very helpful, but challenging.

Many thanks for your help
    Antony

7. trumpetfart123

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    Hey Ed,

Many thanks for your reply. I think I will have a go at both, though at my level, plan b sounds like my only man, can you recommend any sequencing software programs. I am all new to this, so it will take me a while to get this up and running.

Many thanks again Ed, your help is greatly appreciated.

8. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    OK well, I know you're ahead of me!

Um, recognizing the notes, can you sing to yourself what you're going to play? Now, which "bugs" on that music staff they are, that's my problem.

Now, if the notes are out of your range, they're out of your range. I'd not kill myself pushing it. Disco tends to be written for gals' voices and for synthesizers, which can go right up there. That's where you have to pick your battles, not do certain songs until you have the range, or you can "wrap around" a high note to an octave down and often that sounds OK. If they're doing chords, you can listen to what's in the chord and take one of the lower notes too, and that may sound good too.

I got a bunch of books and in the batch, I got Standard of Excellence 1,2, and 3! That's 3 years of trumpet for an average student I think. Plus a bunch of other stuff. But yeah, reading those notes, that's the work, there are a lot of notes on that staff when you think about it.

9. trumpetfart123

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    The first book is OK, my teacher started me about a 1/3 way through as the early stuff is quite easy, I started this book about Feb this year, and hope to finish it shortly.

That sounds well handy dropping a note a whole octave, the only problem is identifying each individual note in a riff. As all I have to go on is the recordings on CD, no sheet music etc.

Will get there all going well
    Many thanks again

10. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    For each note in a riff, you just have to listen very closely.