Discouragement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Aug 5, 2011.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Recently this week I was told some discouraging words to me by family members that stung and they were "someone's gonna say that a young lady playing a trumpet is unheard of" and "if you got out there right now you wouldn't make any money." The former hurt because it's sexist, and the latter hurt because I'm an adult beginner new to all things trumpet. I also was told that "trumpet playing will make my lips big" and "trumpet playing will mess up my throat". I felt bad after hearing this and don't wanna give up. Those are myths, right?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. mrbill00

mrbill00 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2009
    Middle of Georgia
    yep

they're jealous

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Myths, every one of them. Check out Alison Balsom, Tine Thing Helseth, Kiku Collins, among other distaff trumpeters. Find YouTubes of them and invite your family members to be educated.

You might also ask them, "How about some positive reinforcement?" "In what pursuit does anyone do anything but begin at the beginning?"

Truth be known, it takes a thick skin to be a musician, and a trumpet player, in particular. Hold your head high and keep working at it. They will eat their words, eventually.

4. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    Ask them how they know these things

5. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    There is no reason that a female can't play trumpet! There's Kiku Collins, Alison Balsom, Tine Thing Helseth, Laurie Frink, Ingrid Jenson, and many, many more. People are ignorant (not to mention sexist) if they think you shouldn't play because of gender.

As far as the money comment, 99% of the trumpet players on the planet arent going to make money playing trumpet, its only an extremely elite group that can pull it off. That shouldn't be a discouragement, though, its incentive to keep trying, and shut up the doubters.

There are plenty of trumpet players out there, and none of us seem to have oversized lips or messed up throats.

Stick with it, and do what you love, no matter what the ignorant say about it! :thumbsup::play:

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Myths. Family can be tough ... Tell em you've got 17,000 friends (the TM community of trumpeters) saying otherwise. :cool:

Turtle

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
  8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Even through their comments were made in ignorance, I suspect they were made out of concern for you. Take what they say with a grain of salt, and continue to work hard at your music. As they see you excelling at music, and as they see your happiness, they'll likely become your strongest supporters.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Those comments are more out-right lies than myths. Pursue your desires, and as long as they are trumpet-related, our community will be glad to help!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think they are jealous and afraid you may actually best them. Now go out there and prove we here at TM are all right and that they are very wrong.