Discouragement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Aug 5, 2011.

1. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Those comments you have received from your family members are all nonsense and ridiculous.

However, there is little, if any, money to be made unless you are a top professional, so I would suggest you play for other reasons than financial gain.

Otherwise, ignore it all and consider it total nonsense. No truth to any of it. Most of it is even laughable; it is so ridiculous.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    My first teacher was a female, and probably one of the best trumpet players I've ever met. I've had some other people that have given me lessons that were dang good trumpet players and they were female. All of it is more bull than a cattle ranch.

3. Silversorcerer

Silversorcerer Forte User

Jun 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    Damn the torpedos! Full steam! I think the trumpet section when I was in school was about half chicks;- and that was about half the reason I liked band so much. :cool: But seriously, I dig a lady that plays a horn.

I know it's tough, but family are always the most critical, and the most exasperating when it comes to any "unconventional" new undertaking. Hang in there and follow your passion. :play:

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Thanks for those, I never realised that Alison Balsom was such a honey.

6. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    It seems like someone is always saying something to discourage you. When I was a kid I couldn't practice inside the house, when it was cold I could play in the garage if I played very quietly. No heat in the garage, but it was warmer than outside. Mom and Dad were always saying about how much better some kid they knew in high school was than I--meanwhile I was winning competitions and managed to have several colleges offer me scholarships. So don't let it get you down--it don't mean nuthin'. Just keep on practicing and think of the day when you can invite them to a gig and introduce them as they people who did everything they could to keep you from playing. Revenge is a dish that is best served cold--a quote from one of the Star Trek movies.

Your dreams are your own, don't let anyone steal them from you. Life is too short to force yourself to conform to what someone else thinks you should be or should do. Pursue your passion and leave them behind. Sadly my mother and father never heard me play after a left highschool--to bad too. At various times over the years I had some pretty good gigs and made some pretty good music--their loss. I'm not bitter about it, just disappointed. And I also realize that practicing angry under the mulberry tree contributed a lot to my becoming the musician I once was.

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Lynn Erickson is a pretty good classical player as well. Last year after Memorial day, there was a post here of her and Manny Laureano doing a duet of the Star Spangled Banner at a Twins baseball game that was fantastic.
    Are these family members musically inclined? If not, they're just blowing smoke. keep at it, prove'em wrong..........:play::oops:

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Being from the south, that is a typical, stereotypical view of women and the trumpet. I would smile, and say,"Thank ya'll for your concern", and move on. Nothing that they have said has a shred of truth to it except going out as a beginner to make money (that's hard enough for a pro). :thumbsup:

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Earning enough money to support a family by playing any musical instrument is about as unlikely as winning the lottery, but when you truly enjoy making your own music what does this matter. Now in retirement, it is a joy to me and very much helps me overcome other adversities of life ... a respite from the havoc so to say. Not that I wouldn't play in public from time to time, whether paid or not.