Discouragement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Aug 5, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The female trumpet soloist at the Barcelona Symphony wins the lottery, if not for the money, then for the recognition of accomplishment. I've no knowledge of what salary she was paid or if such was adequate for her lifestyle. I just didn't like the off center layover of her third finger as may eventually be cause of unbalance wear on the third valve. Still, I laud her performance. As much as the musicality of Mahler is touted and an intense challenge to play well, his songs just aren't among my personal favorites.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Go up to these people and kick them HARD in the shins for me. Nobody is allowed to be that stupid anymore

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As a physician, I see many personalities. Some very noble, some not so much. This personality as described above and commented on by Bob is certainly not in a minority. And it is not about stupidity. Even the most brilliant individuals display some of the most disgusting testimonials on prejudice.

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa

Maybe its not politically correct,....but bravo Bob.

Bama...Since you first signed on here I have admired your style. Dont let them take that away from you! Nothing bad EVER happened to anyone whilst playing the trumpet. Everyone here will support me on this, I didnt even ask them and I know that it is true. New players are a joy to hear from so keep up the enthusiasm, it spurrs us all on. Best wishes.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    +1 to it all .... family members be can too hard or too easy at times .... there is quite a list of some pretty good horn players encouraging you on this forum ... play away and make music :)

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ditto to that!
    [By the way do all you young'ins on this site actually know what a ditto really is?]

Except for that one time in marching band, when I made the appropriate left flank turn... while the tuba player in the line to the left made an equally quick right flank turn... that was a happening, and I still wear the scar to this day!

Good news was it did knock some sense into me, but there are some here on TM that may dispute this. I honor all opinions.

8. Higgiq

Higgiq New Friend

Oct 12, 2009
    When the guys in band tell me I play like a girl I tell them they wish they could! ROFL

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    GM, My frosh year I ran into my squad leader's back:lol: Split my lip real good, made for a really messy horn, too:roll::-(:oops:

10. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    The only problem with a trumpet players lips is how soft and kissable they are, (So I’ve been told : ) I’ve performed with female trumpet players many times and admire the fact they would choose the most physical instrument on the planet. And face it, female trumpet players are just……..well…….Sexy ! :thumbsup: