Discouragement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Aug 5, 2011.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I know what a ditto is. I guess I am old:-(

- but I do have soft, kissable lips :D

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    A lot of good posts in this thread. To Bamajazzlady I want to tell you that you aren't alone and even us guys go through some of that.

I think part of what's happening is that for whatever reason (although less so now than ever) trumpet has been considered a instrument played by men, whereas some instruments, such as flute and clarinet tend to be regarded as women's instruments. For people who are mired in closed-minded society "rules" regarding such things, they don't see it as normal for a woman to want to play trumpet.

Even in my own experience, I had some opposition to my musical endeavors. I grew up in Southwest Nebraska - we're talking small towns and agriculture. My dad was the Chief of Police and who pursued very masculine themes in his life - aside from his job in law enforcement, he was a big guy physically, and he his passions revolved around firearms. For him, a rural midwesterner all his life, he had a hard time seeing any kind of productive future for me where playing trumpet and music was concerned...until I managed to wrap it up into a 10 year stint playing trumpet in the Army band program.

My advice is that if you love it, do it! If you can't make a living doing it, so what - do it as much as you can on the side and have as much fun doing it as you can. I currently gig as a trumpet player and a drummer, which is aside from my job as an I.T. Professional, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

As for all of those other things -

a young lady playing a trumpet is unheard of
    No - more and more it's an instrument that is heavily pursued by women almost as much as men - we're still breaking down those old streotypes though, and that can take generations.

if you got out there right now you wouldn't make any money.
    Who cares? I make a solid second income gigging, but I'd play even if I wasn't making money. That's just the icing on the cake. Getting to have a great time making music with people I like and respect is where it's really at.

trumpet playing will make my lips big
    No - you may wind up with some temporary, minor swelling after a tough rehearsal or gig, but nothing permanent. Besides, even if they did get a bit bigger, some would consider that to be a good thing.

trumpet playing will mess up my throat.
    This is the only one where there may be some validity, but it's only in extreme cases where a person has a lot of neck puffing, and even then there are exercises that can be done that decreases that.

Keep on playing - if you like it, don't stop and don't let anyone naysay and keep you from doing it.

3. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    All players go through periods of discouragement. I might suggest the book "How I became a Cornetist" by Herbert Clarke.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I love playing beside you lady trumpeters - you play beautifully - there's something different in the sound to a blokes playing, and you girls smell so nice - hey, that isn't sexist, is it? :dontknow:

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It depends on how you say it... Like "You stink good," is definately NOT sexist.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If we couldn't be sexist we would forced to be dogmatic, or something even worse! Sheepish, maybe.....

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    So if you want to make money as a trumpet player join a military band. Woman are in demand in the service. We actually have a female member here who played in the Navy band I think ... Flugelgirl I believe is her member ID ... shoot her a PM
    :)

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Now wouldn't that be Baaaaaahed?

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    CD, I believe fluglegirl is still in, stationed at San Diego at the moment:oops:

10. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    what a load of crap. besides women spend good money having injections to make their lips bigger so that should be a bonus!

I've been playing for a lot of years and my lips haven't changed in size. As for damaging your throat, hardly. If anything it's a good respiratory exercise. Last year my kids put all 45 candles on my birthday cake (9" x 13" size) and I puffed them all out in one burst of air. Their astonished look was priceless! Not a sustained blow moving side to side, but instantly took them out Poof gone!

I can see their concern about earning a living, but if you love it ... it can be done. It's far worse to spend a lifetime doing something you don't enjoy for a little financial security.