Discreet breathing excercise for cublicle dwellers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by flacoman, Oct 27, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    My treadmill is a discreet breathing machine ..... especially when I use it to walk a mile every day (in my cubicle). It helps with my lung power and keeps me happy and (somewhat) sane.:-)

Turtle

2. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    You can also take a ping pong ball, place at at the end of your mouthpiece shank horizontal to the ground and blow. The trick isn't trying to get it to stay there, it's trying to get it to fly off!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Appreciate the honesty!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I strongly recommend NOT GENERALLY substituting playing with other techniques. The pencil CAN be a great aid WITH a standard routine as well as a stopgap measure when on the road. There is a cost of business that always needs to be considered.

In the car, I use a garden hose cut to C (8 feet) and D (a bit less) with a mouthpiece on one end and a left over bell on the other.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is the best advice of all, and to take the time away from just working with the horn takes... Well... BALLS!

6. flacoman

flacoman Pianissimo User

Oct 4, 2011
    The local constabulary would have a field day with that here in South Florida!:-?

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I practice with my pocket trumpet in the car. The intonation on it is pretty darn awful and the partials...well let's not even talk about those.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    :noway: So, are you the one who keeps cutting the end off my garden hose? I come out in the morning to find the nozzle is lying on the ground and a shorter hose - I never considered it might be a trumpeteer. :shock:

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Check the length of the missing piece. If it is of random lengths and anything other than 8 feet, it's likely a tasmanian devil!

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    But now try it with 2 or 3 ping pong balls. Great articulation exercise (I can't do it either!), but I've shot them with a shotgun using 7.5 bird shot. Tried using them once as golf balls, but they smash.

On track ... the coffee stirrer helps establish aperture, and the very small ones I can get help to initially align a mpc to the lips. Otherwise, I'm a P.E.T.E. user.