Discreet breathing excercise for cublicle dwellers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by flacoman, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Doc, I think such was mentioned by my pulmonologist, Dr. Timothy B. Hart in 2010 at Wake Med, but when he found how much black coffee I normally drank he decided not to prescribe it for my COPD (old cigarette habit)... but what does age have to do with it ... you know I'm 75. Oh yes, I've appt to see Dr Hart again Nov 28 for 3rd follow up and he is amazed that I'm playing my horns again, but hasn't said anything against it.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Like I said above, 5 cups = 1 standard theophylin dose

Tell him Dr. O, your trumpet doctor, says the trumpet makes for a great pulmonary clearance technique.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It was your first statement about the coffee that triggered my memory about the medicine. IF, methinks I may be OD on it as for example in 3 hours this morning, I'm already into my second pot. As for your second statement, I believe Dr. Hart knows that, as he stated something like, paraphrased, "articulated sharp puffs help break loose deposits" and when he said this he knew I had played as was sorry I hadn't continued instead of smoking and I had to explain that when I began my first comeback after a 40+ year lapse, I had quit and then he moved about the examining room and isolated the odor ... my wife now continues to smoke. The only rational I have to agree about a trumpet / cornet as opposed to other brass instruments is usually they play more of a song. I've yet to recreate the 8 measure continuous drone on my euphonium I once produced in We Three Kings of Orient Are and I don't now believe such will be this Christmas season, if ever again. Oh yes, he only came into my case post heart surgery while I was still in the hospital and you know I then didn't have on any clothes laden with smoke or had smoked while in there.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ed we got to work on your wife, not only for her own health, but taking in second hand smoke isn't a good idea for you as well.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Chantix escalated her chemical imbalance (depression), and Nicoderm patches didn't fazz her, but she has cut back from over a pack a day to about half a pack and less since we moved here. I know this just by audit of our register receipts viz a carton now lasts her over a month.

There ain't no way I'm reccommending my method to quit to anyone but some may find such as a consequence. I quit by cold turkey during 42 day stay in hospital for abdominal aortic and left femoral aneurisms and it was following such that I began my first comeback on brass horns.

The rooms in this very old house that have not yet been thoroughly cleaned and renovated and repainted are still laden with nicotine imbedded in tar and the woodwork requiring lead based paint abatement (as was found in the 3 rooms we've completed), yet our living room has yet to be done and is where Bet still smokes some. Mostly then, I am in my office at the back of the house which is more to isolate the "noise" I make so she can watch TV. Too, she now doesn't smoke when I'm in a vehicle with her. Still, truthfully, I now feel such is her concern for me rather than herself. She is adamantly against hypno-therapy which really within reasonable distance I can find none, but know of two in the D.C. area, both who have intervened in my pain relief. I must say that my nicotine tolerance may have once saved my life when I was struck with a nicotine veterinary dart that seemingly killed my associate who had been struck likewise, whereas he did not smoke at all and extreme body mass difference may have been a factor. I said "seemingly" only because I have no personal corroboration other than he hasn't been active since, nor did my "search" affirm he was/is still alive. Well do I know such "mysteries" are pro forma.

This morning I had a practice session with my Schilke P5-4 piccolo trumpet which I feel was reasonable considering such was the first time since July 2009. A night and day difference from my attempt on the 'bone two weeks ago as was horrendous due to non-accurate slide positioning. Yeah, I'll now leave it to my picc to "scream" and my euph to replace the 'bone.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ed, it seems you never do things by halves do you?

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Nope, it's the whole enchilada or nuttin viz binary math, the basis of computers. Now you wouldn't enjoy just half the song would you? I really prefer no half notes either ... the Benjamin Franklin type here in the U.S. aka a C note. Seriously, all I've been drinking is black coffee this evening.

Tutoring session tonight cancelled. Duh, whatta I do for the remaining 45 minutes? Yeah, it's Halloween here tonight as I forgot, but the candies we had for the children were gone about an hour ago and I turned off our porch light.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Has she tried Welbutrin? This is very effective for kicking smoking addiction AND it is an antidepressant.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Now have been waiting at Airport Internet Cafe for my brother, who had to switch rental cars.

Don't hold me to it, since I don't have my PDR with me, but isn't such similar to ZyBan(R) as she has tried with similar results to Chantix(R) + insomnia and thus also discontinued. She is now 65 and takes Paroxetine, 20 mg (Paxil) as anti-depressant and also Benazepril 20mg plus something (Levothyroxin ...???) for her thyroid problem.

Certainly the swings she has coped with my health issues while also being prime parent in raising our daughter have had their effects to wear away the vibrancy she once had when I married her over 44 years ago, but she's still like the Energizer bunny and keeps going and going. Presently, she works 6 days on and 6 days off, but very often works her off days when there are health or other issues with employees. She fits the mold of a workaholic IMO. Still, I wouldn't want to be without her!

May not be online again until Nov 15.

Ed Lee
    jackson NC