Discussion of the Mariachi brass sound please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by patton45, Nov 21, 2008.

1. patton45

patton45 New Friend

Nov 1, 2008
    Can I please get some info on how the unique mariachi brass sound is created.

Different mix of brass instruments? Trumpets tuned differently?

Only have one brass player in the home, anything he can do by himself with this music.

Its an amazing sound, how is it done?

thx - Craig

2. bigpapajosh

bigpapajosh Pianissimo User

Aug 10, 2008
    Titusville Florida
    a mariachi sound is very very bright. generally a mariachi sound is attained through a light horn designed for the style, a ridiculously shallow mouthpiece.
    another way to have a mariachi sound is to just be born with it. i cant remember who, but the intern at my school played a recording of a man playing a classical tune, and the piece sounded as such, but the trumpet still played with that mariachi sound.
    a good way to develop that sound i think would be to listen to a whole lot of mariachi trumpet, and spend lots of time imitating, and trying to perfect that mariachi sound.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are 2 types of Mariachi sound: the original from real players that just learned it by living it, actually like any amateur band does. The second type is from experienced players in the studio with optimised recording, mixing and production techniques. The fastest way is to find a good teacher that plays this type of gig.

This also applies to any type of folk-music. "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" sounds a lot different from a New Orleans street band than from the Canadian Brass!

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Two or three years ago, my cousin's step-daughter got married and at the reception, they had a top-notch mariachi band perform for a while. Since I enjoy mariachi music, I was immediately impressed with the 1st trumpeter's big bright sound on what looked like a standard Bach.
    Of course, when they were done, I went over and talked to him. He actually was using a standard Bach 37! He could have cut the wedding cake from 30 paces with the sound he was getting.
    As with any trumpeter worth his or her salt, he knew what sound he wanted to produce first and then let the Parduba mouthpiece work its magic in combination with the Bach 37.
    I truly enjoyed that band.
    Regards,
    Rich Tomasek

5. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    "90% of it is half mental." Yogi Berra It's mostly a concept. I played in Mexican dance bands in Chicago in the '70's and there was a large variety of different instruments. The guys from Mexico had the mariachi concept. I did see a lot of Parduba mouthpieces. Bach's were a real status symbol and Schilke B1's were popular. I would describe the sound as bright but fat.

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Don`t forget to use plenty of vibrato

7. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Conn Constellations are favored among many players in Mexico.......you will see lots of them on Bachs when they play in the US. They love Parduba mouthpieces....they'll just walk into a music shop and order a Parduba like I order a combo meal at Burger King......no need for a trial period.

The style is learned on the job.......very little music available to practice from.....just look at the valves of the guy next to you and if you screw up just lower the sombrero gently over your face.

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    The style is learned on the job.......very little music available to practice from.....just look at the valves of the guy next to you and if you screw up just lower the sombrero gently over your face.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that my friend Esteban Carrillo, principal trumpet and musical director of the Mariachi Cobre at the Mexican Pavillion at Epcot Center hides under his sombrero. He is the one that any other trumpeters playing with his band emulate. By the way, he plays a Strad with a 1C Bach mouthpiece. His practice horn at home is the Olds Recording cornet that Raphael Mendez gave to me and I gave to Esteban.

OLDLOU>>

9. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Rember guy's 90% of your sound comes from you! Only 10% is equipment assumeing you are useing equipment that is proper working condition.Instead of wanting to check out a person's equipment when they play great it might be less shallow to check them out! Really if the guy was that good I am sure I could give him my Reynolds Medalist and my 14B4 Yamaha mouth piece and he would still sound great! To many people make it about the gear when it really is not the gear. What do you say to a guy useing an Old's Ambasador student horn playing in a New Orleans Orchastra? Do you say wow you sound great but you would sound better if you played a Bach Strad 180-37S since only looser's play a student horn!!! You follow me?

I have a friend that played Marichi and from time to time I would fill in when their lead trumpet would get sick. It was good money. Normaly I played wedding's and dinner parties. I did this from 6th grade through 12th grade. I also played some jazz and blues club's in Germany when I lived their. All I am saying is that too many people get caught up with the gear.

10. roggtrumpet

roggtrumpet New Friend

Dec 9, 2008
    If your looking for a beginning method book to start playing mariachi music than check out Northeastern Music Publications for a student book available for $9.95 plus shippping and the teachers edition for $29.95 plus shipping!

Ryan