Discussion of the Mariachi brass sound please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by patton45, Nov 21, 2008.

1. ElJman85

ElJman85 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012

Not really a suit is less expensive. The most I paid for a suit was around 400. The most I paid for a trumpet was 2200 for a xeno

2. Ocdlaw

Ocdlaw New Friend

Jul 13, 2015
    Rancho Santa Margarita CA
    My wife did Mexican folk dance and her shoes cost more than that.

3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    There is only one tone quality for mariachi music and I love it. It doesn't work well for any other kind of music though.
    The Mexican sound is true music to my ears!

4. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
  5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Great site thanks for sharing.

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Oh wow, what a misunderstanding.

I've been reading past this thread for some time, now, thinking the title was referring to "the" Mariachi Brass". So my answer to how to get the Mariachi brass sound is to take a bunch of crappy songs, arrangements that square-peg round holes and add a (sometimes) disassociated soloist and there you have it. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvGSDeuMGCs

*I take it back, (kind of). When I first heard these recordings years ago, in contrast to what the Tijuana Brass and Chet Baker (separately) could do when left to their own, the Mariachi Brass w/ Chet was a pale copy. But I almost hate to admit it, I've now been listening to some other cuts and find myself tapping my toes - clunky rhythm section notwithstanding, and digging some of Chet's playing. Oh well . . .

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  8. ElJman85

ElJman85 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    If you guys want mariachi sheet music try todomariachi.com that site has a huge library!

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I heard a live Mariachi band in a restaurant in Arlington, Virginia (The El Paso Café - spectacular food for anyone here in the region who might be interested) and I was actually surprised by the trumpet player's sound. Not only was it not overly bright, I thought he had a really nice tone that trended toward dark. What made the sound though was the articulation and vibrato. The articulation was extremely light, crisp and short - almost exaggeratedly so - but without losing tone and without being harsh, and any note held for any length of time had a lot of vibrato.

I don't know if this guy was typical of the Mariachi sound, because I'm not too well versed on the subject or the genre, but I felt that it worked really well. This guy was a pretty danged solid trumpet player IMO.

10. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006