Dishsoap and valves....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Mar 19, 2012.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I've always put a drop of no scent Dawn on my valve brush when washing out the casings, and a few drops in the glass I use when letting the valves soak (to get old oil off), and out of curiosity is the miniscule amount I use okay for the horn? (I take extra care to make sure no residue or soap is left when reassembling.)

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I use more than a drop. I use a liberal amount of dish soap and warm water to soak my horn in, and to brush the tubing with.

Mike

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I squeeze a bunch out of the bottle down the bell and rinse untill it is clear ... for a quick clean out.
    and I think will be fine. I would guess more damage could be done by banging the valves while they are out of the casing.

4. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Don't worry, my valve got knocked out of my hand by a certain woodwind player. :-( so thats already been done. We got the dent taken out and the valve turned, but after this week is over we are getting the horn sent out and getting a full valve job done on the horn. Needless to say I am tempted to use said woodwind player's instrument as kindling :evil:

coolerdave likes this.
  5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    on your 70' strad...ouch.
    I hate taking the valves out ... probably just for that reason alone. If I clean them it's one at a times ..and I clean them with my hands some soap and water. You don't have to burn the woodwind. Just find the hardest set of reeds you can and switch them on the player.... before a jury.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The only important thing is getting ALL of the soap back off before you reassemble. Horns that are not thoroughly rinsed out, get what is left of the soap blown directly to the valves where it destroys the lubrication. Soap is good to clean but really needs to disappear afterwards.

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    I don't clean-clean them, but everytime I oil them I have made it a habit of mine to wipe off the old valve oil and do a quick wipe of the inside of the valves too....The valve oil seems to "last" longer, and the valves work better then when I used to just pile on the oil.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I make my soaking solution in a large storage container for the horn. I then take a coffee mug and scoop out enough water to cover the valves, less the felts and cork. I use about 10 oz. of dish washing detergent. Just make sure you get all the soap out and you'll be fine. Too little and it won't do the job. It's way cheaper than a chem clean.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I use more dishwashing detergent than ever now that my boy has taken on the job of squeezing it out of the bottle. :-o

Afterwards I take my rinsing pretty d**n seriously, and when it's all dry I take my oiling very seriously too.

I got contrary advice (don't use any detergent) from a young lady at a local music shop a few weeks ago when I was buying a fresh snake brush so phoned up the manufacturer who confirmed that what I had been doing for the last 30 years is fine and is what they do themselves.

--bumblebee

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I do the dish soap too. Also, If just reoiling, I like to wipe them down good first, and also run a paper towel through the casings to make sure I get them free of older oil.......Buck:oops: