Dishsoap and valves....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Mar 19, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Probably a viola player! :-)

Something else to add to your cleaning arsenal is a Blitz slide & valve care cloth. It will get crud/buildup off the valves and casings you can't even see! It's great for in between washings. It also takes off patina from raw brass and copper.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    One of the guys at Schilke once told me that Ivory liquid detergent is fine for horn cleaning.

Brad361

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    9 chances out of 10, it is made of resin (clarinets) or brass (saxes) and won't burn well.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Rinse with mix of white vinegar and water to remove residue soap, and then follow with clear water rinse. Don't let any fluid contact valve felts or corks.

5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    This has been posted before but here it is again.
    MonetteCorporation's Channel - YouTube
    This is the way I was taught years ago and if it is good enough for a $7K and up horn by Monette, there is little to say.
    RT

6. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I'm surprised that Monette doesn't advocate the use of distilled water. I would think rinsing with tap water could have calcium deposits overtime. Some city tap water is pretty rich in calcium.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And you really don't want to know what else is in some city water. Here our water source is from wells, not rivers and reservoirs, but the piping is very old, albeit the line from the meter into our house and throughout is now recently been replaced with PEC along with a a new water heater. Still, we've installed a Brita filter system on the kitchen faucet. Commercial distilled water isn't chemically inert. Laboratories also de-ionize it.

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    In New York City our water comes straight from the Catskills. Its the cleanest and best tasting tap water I know of.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    That would only apply if you'd let the horn air-dry every time (instead of wiping it) and it would still take so many occurrences to form even a thin deposit that it's not really a factor. There are many worse things that can happen to a horn than the little mineral left behind by a cleaning.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, it does via streams and the rivers into very old city piping. It is the natural limestone (calcium carbonate) of the mountains that gives it the sweet tastiness.
    If you've galvanized plumbing in your home, I'd expect your water pressure to be low with the calcium build-up in them, especially prone to such are steam radiators.

Been to the source in the Catskills and knew of a few artesian wells there that had even tastier water. Had even planned the honeymoon with my present wife there until our car broke down in route.