Disinfection of the Trumpet following Flu, Colds or other bacteria. ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by X3Lb, Dec 1, 2012.

1. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote
    Hi Guys

I have been suffering a problem with excess and thick mucus since a chest infection in April and nothing seems to be working at the moment. I have been getting through 100 tissues a day, doing nasal washes with steralised sea water, anything to try and clear it. Originally I had 3 courses of Anti Biotics over a 10 week period which cleared the chest inefection but the excess mucus remained just the same. X rays have been taken of the Chest, Throat, and Sinus areas and a camera inspection of the nasal cavity by the consultant - all show nothing, but he prescribed a steroid based inhaler for 10 days just in case ??. I've now returned once again to my GP because the problem is still there and he is trying yet another strong anti biotic.

Throughout all of this period I have refused (to myself) to stop playing. While I have given my trumpets there usual routine cleaning and maintenance I wondered if there could possibly still be some bugs lurking there and the possibility of RE-INFECTION. When we play and snatch breath I suspect some of the incoming air is sucked through the instrument itself and wondered if it was possible that, unless the instrument was bug free, re-infection could occur.

What methods of sterilising the instrument would you recommend - without causing damage to the instrument or leaving bad odours ?? :think:

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Re: Disinfection of the Trumpet following Flu, Colds or other bacteria. ANY SUGGESTIO

I suggest you do a search for user gmonady. He is an MD, as are several other posters. Some threads written in recent months may provide insight and ideas for you. gmonady recommends rinsing trumpet innards with a 90%+ alcohol solution, if I remember correctly. You have many fine instruments in your signature. Are these silver plated with plated inner slide surfaces? I ask this because of the oligodynamic effects of silver, which you may be aware of.
    Jim

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Re: Disinfection of the Trumpet following Flu, Colds or other bacteria. ANY SUGGESTIO

91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Medical Proof. I keep 3 jars in my cabinets, two for my trumpets, one for my daughters' boyfriends.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

"... daughter's boyfriends." I'll be nice and say "boyfriends" should read "boyfriends'" as in possessive, but beyond that my remark will be, "Hmnnn".

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio

Well, I guess,re: "boyfriends", the alcohol is better than I would do. I keep a 12ga SxS coachgun that could've been used for that. Just sit out cleaning it whilst they're there:roll::lol:;-)

6. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah

Just read a very interesting article that I commend to you: Germs Are Us by Michael Specter in The New Yorker October 22, 2012. You should be able to get it electronically. Point of the article? Medicine is on the cusp of finding out that our bacterial ecology is more important to our general and specific health than they all believed heretofore. See what you think.

Having read the article you may not want to do anything with your horns except what you do regularly.

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.

Bacteria are good. We carry more bacterial cells and more bacterial DNA in our bodies than human. Can't live without them. At the planetary level, this is, has always been and always will be the age of bacteria. It's just that, for us, some of them shouldn't go certain places. Isopropyl alcohol is the best way to disinfect almost anything.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

For our GI tracks, but not for our respiratory tracks. Read the article carefully.

The September 2010 Chest article that reports on the use of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol in Brass instruments actually CURES Hypersensitity Pnuemonitis caused by myocobacteriurm and fungus. Scientifically proven with an N-of-1 Evidence-based Medicine technique, which is the most valid of EBM applications.

DO NOT BLINDLY BELIEVE MEDICAL INFORMATION TRANSMITTED BY Journals written for Entertainment value.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany

I think that we need to do some research on when it is not good to play.

If I need 10 weeks to shake a "cold" or 3 rounds of antibiotics, maybe there are better ways to keep musically alert. Think about it, our "inhale" and "exhale" is compromised, we raise the pressure in our respiratory tract and IF we aren't doing things right, blood pressure goes up, we may not be hearing optimally and with histamines and antihistamines (natural or medicinal) we really mess up our sense of "feeling" around the upper lip. What are the chances that we will be able to "maintain" anything in this state?

Getting sick is our bodies way of calling a time out. We really need to think about that...............

I also use isopropyl alcohol to clean up horns and mouthpieces. It certainly does not hurt and I do not consider the horn to be part of my bacterial ecology.

10. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii

I'm sorry for your health problems and wish you the best for a full recovery.

I boil all new/used mpcs for 15+ minutes b4 use.

I like the Docs alcohol idea although I haven't tried it yet, it will likely become a part of my routine.

I have however, started rinsing leadpipe and tuning slide crook with fresh water after playing, dry with a "Reeves leadpipe swab", then coating with valve oil on a gun cleaning patch using gun rod - but this is more for the health of the horn than my own..........

No daughters, only a son in college and the army keeps him germ free! :-)

One question for the Doc though; If alcohol is effective at killing germ bugs, why does autoclave seem to be the standard for sterilization in the medical profession ?
    Just curious, not planning to autoclave my horns :lol: