Disinfection of the Trumpet following Flu, Colds or other bacteria. ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by X3Lb, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Re: Disinfection of the Trumpet following Flu, Colds or other bacteria. ANY SUGGESTIO

BigDub where are you?

2. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote
    Re: Disinfection of the Trumpet following Flu, Colds or other bacteria. ANY SUGGESTIO

Hi gmonday,

Thanks for your input and delighted you won the contest.

Like you, I believe if I can still play (even though not as efficiently or effecively) , I will keep my lips in trim. In fact the blowing seems to help keep the mucus clear of the windpipe, which can clog up.

It may be a total coincidence that the problem initially seemed to start a few days after a particularly heavy outdoor concert covering long solo passages on the Trumpet and Flugel, lots of long successive deep breathing.

Another symtom that I am left with now is that the inside of my nose seems super sensitive to the smallest changes in temperature or anything around me. The slightest thing starts the inside of my nostrils itching and producing watery fluid, then within seconds I am sneezing repeatedly and running for handkerchiefs. Don't know how to deal with this. The doc put me on Ebastina 20mg many weeks ago, but it does't seem to make much difference. The pharmacist also thought Acetilcisteina 600mg effervescent might help to thin the mucus a little in the meantime.

As its getting very tiring and wearing, I'm looking for practical solutions,

1. basically I am searching for a remedy for the mucus problem but

2. also wondering if I can be re-infecting myself from my instruments ?? If so what is the best solution to treat the instruments ?

It is also linked to my injury here - http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/cut-lip-5-stitches-just-removed-67204-4.html#post638441
    which I will update shortly.

(Thanks for your banter and other comments guys :-), at the moment this thing is like the plague and can't wait to get rid of it, but I'm on my way back from the injury):-?

Trumpet Players never give up, they are a special breed.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  3. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010

Thanks Comeback

All are Silver plated outside (not sure about inside) apart from the Natural Trumpet, Scherzer and the Couesnon Piccs.

Could you explain briefly the reference to -oligodynamic effects of silver - please. ?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia

Isoproyl Alcohol for mouthpieces, and Wipes for hand contact points.

For washing the horn, after removing the valves, try Chlorhexidine - this is used to remove germs etc from the body prior to surgery, use like handsoap. Just add some of this liquid down the leadpipe, and snake it out. Add some to the snake, and wash it all out well with lots of clean water.

Maybe gmonady can chime in on this, but pretty sure that surgeons in the USA use it as well. It's liquid soap, but a topical antiseptic solution.

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN

This may be as good a place to start as any concerning oligodynamic effects: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/oligodynamic-effect-amazing-info-about-cleanliness-69191.html . My interest was stimulated as I observed that less crud flushed out of my two silver plated horns than what came out of my laquered horns after approximately similar durations/intensity of use. This property of silver is exploited for many purposes other than apparent beneficial effects for trumpeters playing plated instruments. Both of my plated trumpets have plated inner slide surfaces.

Jim

6. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010

Thanks for that Jim and the summary, its interesting. In the plating process I assume unless parts are purposely masked off then area's such as the interior are also plated as part of the process.

7. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010

Thanks Peter

What would be your opinion please on re-infection on item 2. of my post at 22.

8. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia

That was the post that made me think of the 2Chlorhexidine solution. I have it and use it after I have had a cold etc.
    I would use it while you have your infection, but I also think there have been some good points made about laying off to allow you to recover.

If you use the solution with clean water weekly, it can only be a good thing, and should at least be a way of ensuring that you are not having a source of reinfection. I am not an MD or medico, but a clean set of tools, and good behaviour are a good start. I lived through SARS in China a decade ago, and that was all about personal hygiene. Pillows and bed-lined, walls, door knobs, toilets etc. and any tools. Clean them all well. Look at air-cons, filters, sources of irritation causing your mucus to be initiated. Just practical thinking.

Good luck, I suffer sinus issues at Spring, but not like your long term problem.
    Cheers

9. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010

Thanks again for your experiences and advice Peter, much appreciated.

I've been reluctant to lay off because of trying to hasten my recovery from the lip injury (see link at post 22).

In a nutshell. I have had to start from scratch with embouchure and wanted to settle the mouthpiece placement into the healing process and tissue growth as soon as possible.

The air here in the Canary Islands tends to be very stimulating and fresh most of the time apart from an occasional Calima dust cloud from the Sahara. We usually avoid being outdoors for too long when its around. We have lived here for 3 years and the climate hasn't affected me this way. The symptoms still are the same when we travel to the UK climate.

10. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia

Thanks - I just re-checked the injury post, having read it about 6 months ago.

It's been a bad year for you. I hope 2013 is a better one for your health and playing.

Just simple thinking: Production of excess mucus, and the doctors have checked and xrayed as you have had done, and all is functioning correctly, then the mucus is being created by some sort of irritation. Either a stimulous from a chemical (check wifes perfume, your aftershave, etc) or if you are unlucky to have lost your sense of smell a scent that causes the reaction. It may be a chemical, or a combination - like some reactions people have to onions and aspargus if eaten in the same sitting. Just thinking if you can find the source of the irritation, then you may be able to control the mucus discharge. Check deodorants - a slow process, but list all the chemicals used in the household. Try to identify the areas and times you notice that it plays up worst, at night with air con on, or morning or afternoon, then check the plants you have around the house, as to what is in flower, or a source of pollen. Identifiction then elimination or controls seem to be the priority.

Living in the Canary Islands (lucky man) you probably don't have a lot of chemical factories/industry, or fumes from traffic and aircraft paths. But there has to be something that is stimulating the mucus production.

Just my thoughts - but good luck.

BTW I lost some of my sense of smell a long time ago -maybe 15 years ago, and never knew it until I was walking through a huge estate with Rose Gardens. A case of checking the scents of the Roses and my wife picked up that some that were scented I could not detect. Some I could. Now all floral scents are gone - I have a sensation of Freshness up the nose, but no floral scents. Some perfumes I cannot smell, some I can. Food smells are OK and wine is OK. So not an end of the world issue for me. But I usually start with sneezes before I cop my sinus problems.

Keep playing - and cleaning. Good luck.