Disinfection of the Trumpet following Flu, Colds or other bacteria. ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by X3Lb, Dec 1, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Re: Disinfection of the Trumpet following Flu, Colds or other bacteria. ANY SUGGESTIO

and my question is always ---- gee if you are already sick -- then your body either developed immunity to the bacteria, or otherwise was able to recover. NOT that it is a bad thing to keep the horn clean, but a certain amount of paranoia seems to set in when people consider their musical instruments. SO SHOULD WE disinfect the house, the car, the pillow case --- I mean let's turn the house upside down and eliminate all the organims hanging around there also. YEAH -- lets swab the house with 91 % isopropyl alchohol, and then autoclave all of the forks, knives ----- better evacuate and exchange all of the air in the house -----oh, no lets not forget that STAINLESS STEEL door knobs hold more bacteria than the old brass door knobs......................................................uh, forget my question

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Re: Disinfection of the Trumpet following Flu, Colds or other bacteria. ANY SUGGESTIO

Hey KT,
    I can only say that Thank the Heavens that SARS did break out in China as it was the only place on earth where all those things were done to stop the spread of the infection. China is the only country on this planet that could have coped with that type of outbreak. If it was in the USA - well let us just say there would have been a lot less of us around now.

Good personal hygiene is the best, I would not auto-clave anything with the trumpet, but adding a disinfectant to my weekly clean when I wash out the horn is again no big deal. But to identify the source of the irritation that is causing the mucus discharge would be my starting point.

I like bacteria, and believe that if a snag from the Bar-bee hits the ground, it is fair game for any kid within 5 seconds. In the bush, I'd give it 10 seconds - maybe just chuck it back onto the hot plate for a few more minutes.

But the OP has had this leaking mucus from nasal area for a long time. I would do the house clean thing - it is just a once off, and no big deal IMO.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

I've let this go far enough without my two cents worth. I've come to a state of life where everything the OP has mentioned I've now been subject to for several years, and I've about lived in a sterile cocoon with it along with an array of medications and sanitizers. My Docs can't cure it, but they can care for it. The diagnoses of my ailment I've been told is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease commonly referred to simply by the letters COPD.

So it is I now sleep with a cannula in my nose providing oxygen from a concentrator and have oxygen tanks available to me if needed when I go about. Now I'll inhale my Symbicort and Spiriva and take all my other meds and supplements and get dressed for church.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

Hygiene Hypothesis ((uhm exposure to germs -- at least at a young age, is actually healthier for you)) --- Hygiene hypothesis: Early germ exposure prevents asthma? - MayoClinic.com
    BUT ON THE SAFE SIDE -----EVERYONE be sure to wash YOUR hands!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote

Ed
    Thanks so much for your input. I do feel deep sympathy for the way you suffer, I know how relatively minor my ailment is to yours and what "pest and nuisance" it feels, i'm really looking for what other players experiences of similar problems have been. After this long as you can imagine and I trying to work my way around the problem and ignore it as much as possible by letting it have the least impact on my life. I believe the good lord can heal things in his own way and sometimes more patience is needed. Since my accident with my lip (post 22) he has done a remakable job of healing.

Thanks again everyone for your time, thoughts and experiences, all appreciated. Plenty there to reflect on. :thumbsup:

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

X3LB, Sympathy can wait until later (much later I Pray) and be given to my wife, daughter and granddaughter. If an ailment bothers one enough to speak/write of it, it is not minor IMO. That said, perhaps I've the advantage of access here in the US to great Docs, meds and hospitals, moreso than I'd expect to find in Canary Island.

Really I don't know anything about the Canary Island, except where it is, and trying to sleep in my USAF BOQ when Gen. Curtis E. LaMay took off from Yakota AFB in Japan with 4 JATO bottles assist in a C-135 in attempt to circumnavigate the globe without refueling, his flight ending in Canary Island and I was never concerned whether he flew Eastward or Westward and went back to sleep.

You and I play one instrument the same, a Schilke P5-4 which I presently don't play often enough. No, I don't now even try to play extensively or to extremes with the COPD and other health issue, but I sure as heck enjoy what I can still play. Methinks, by your instruments you favor a classical genre.

7. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010

You guessed it Ed.
    Great to know that you enjoy the Shilke P5-4 Picc. I'm retired now (from a non-musical career) but played 70% classical and 30% mix of band and popular music since school days. I got my Yam9830 Picc as a lucky find about 12 yrs ago in a Guitar electronic equip shop, taken as px against some of their new kit. It was shoved away in corner and hadn't been properly advertised. The valves were all swapped around so it wouldn't even blow. I bought it at around 50% of it px value. Its a mint Picc and it got me started on Handels Messiah - Hallelujah Chorus and The Trumpet Shall Sound. Since then i've always had a love and leaning towards Piccs in general, each one has its own colour and character.
    If you have skype it would be nice to have a chat some time if you are interested. PM me with your Skype user name if you are. If I try to do all chat through the forum I'm in danger of boring others!!!

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia

[​IMG]

9. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010

Hi Peter

Thanks for your help with the posts, others may have not experienced this sort of problem so they don't know what its like or where to turn for reliable help, and few in the medical profession appreciate how it affects Trumpet playing. So the medics here are amongst the few. Cheers :thumbsup:

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

sorry I didn't grasp the whole concept of a "long term" illness ----- my mind was thinking about a simple cold or flu in which an individual had recovered quickly --- in which case, I am not certain it is that important to "autoclave, disinfect, burn, or otherwise STERILIZE the environment

that is my "quick" reading of the topic, and missing a few details -------------I'm overworked, and overtired, and that is my life at the moment ---------- as many might have noticed ---- my post count is down considerably in the last few months -------------life is too busy for me, I would rather sleep, but the world seems to need me!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL