dissappearing range!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by adam12345, Sep 23, 2008.

1. adam12345

adam12345 New Friend

Sep 23, 2008
    Hello

Im a sophomore in high school. Ive been playing trumpet since 7th grade, after switching from trombone. My range was comfortably at a high C and sometimes up to a high E. But suddenly last friday I could barely get an A, and now I can barely squeek out a G just above the staff. I have no idea what caused me to lose so much range so fast. Help!!!!

2. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Hi Adam,First let me say welcome and enjoy the site.This happens to everyone,don"t try to figure it out.Just play through it and your range will be back in know time. It happens to me after a few days of abnormally hard or high playing.Also my range is affected by the change in the weather.Its been getting colder here in N.Y. and really windy and my range for a few days last week was suffering.I don"t let it bother me,I just go about my practice routine the best I can knowing that its just a temporary set back.Its like anything in life that hampers you,the more you give in to it the longer it sticks around.

3. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Like many things, we all have our good days and bad days.

Do you practice every day? If so, maybe take a day off and then see what happens. Don't force anything though, just let it happen in as much of a relaxed fashion as you can.

4. adam12345

adam12345 New Friend

Sep 23, 2008
    Ok thanks guys
    I did play a ton in the game friday night any saturday and sunday so hopefully thats it ill try taking tomorrow off

5. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Re: dissappearing range!!

Yeah I know it's tough ! I once had my stove stolen too. ! :cool:

Actually, any changes to your horn lately. Have you tried another horn ?
    It's probably fatigue, or just a bad stretch, but don't overlook the obvious things either.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  6. adam12345

adam12345 New Friend

Sep 23, 2008
    haha nope still playing on the same horn hopefully its just really bad fatigue

7. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    It happened to me after exercising my mouth muscles too much. I could barely squeek a high G and could not play more than half an hour before having puffy lips. It came back to normal after a week and a half. So that is a lesson to me: don't over do it. Especially not 2-3 weeks before a gig!

8. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    If you have been blowing a lot recently, give your chops a break for a day or two . I find it is the best medicine for tired and abused lips.

9. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Stop playing so loud. During practice just play p. Forget about playing high for a while. You won't forget how. Play soft, with as little pressure as possible, think about a small aperture. Get back to basics. Work on slurring while playing softly pp-p. Sounds like you just over did it. I also remember a guy in Jr high who switched from baritone to trumpet. For a while his range was quite good. I think the switch from the larger mouth piece to the smaller trumpet one helped his range a little. This extra range was gone after a short while. I believe had he kept up a good practice routine he would have kept a lot of it. Don't abuse your chops. Mashing the horn into your face won't work in the long run.

10. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Miyot is right.

Playing softly during practice sessions for a short while will definitely help.